Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 10:38 AM

Adverts

Do any of you agree with me that adverts on tv are becoming more noisier and ridiculous? As soon as they come on i press the mute button. I must admit there is one i enjoy watching and that is the Action men dancing.
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 10:40 AM

Re: Adverts

I like the AA one with the little girl in the back of the car, she is a little sweetheart.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 10:44 AM

I don't watch TV these days but I remember when I did that when the adverts came on I was grabbing the remote to turn the sound down as they always seemed to be much louder than the programs as if to grab your attention.
I didn't mind the well made adverts that were usually funny but the ones that just screamed at me drove me nuts.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 11:52 AM

Yep hit the mute button ASAP when the annoying adds come on,

Asked the wife the other day ' have you ever been influenced into buying a product that you have seen on the box being advertised ? the answer for both of us was NO....

So why do they bother.....we can't be the only ones....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 11:54 AM

I mute them too, I also like the Action Man one but, no idea what tune they're dancing to!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 12:18 PM

I hate most adverts but sometimes they have me thinking. How often the song used to accompany the film can be well matched, seeming as if they were made for each other.

Often I see a song's title and wonder 'well I've never heard of that one before'.

Heck yes, they are noisy and I am always muting.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by basser ->
Yep hit the mute button ASAP when the annoying adds come on,

Asked the wife the other day ' have you ever been influenced into buying a product that you have seen on the box being advertised ? the answer for both of us was NO....

So why do they bother.....we can't be the only ones....
Many people are influenced though, but it isn't just the ads on TV! I watched a programme last night where Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall was trying to get people to lose weight and was asking people to tweet W H SMITH and ask them to get rid of the chocolates at their checkouts... they sell a bar every 45 second yet only sell 2% of Choc bars sold in Britain

TV ads convince people how good they taste, then you go to buy a magazine or paper and think " I saw those on TV I will try one". Many people get addicted to chocolate, so then get into the habit of buying one with every newspaper they buy.
Just imagine the effect it has on children too! They don't spend money on TV ads unless it increases income!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I don't watch TV these days but I remember when I did that when the adverts came on I was grabbing the remote to turn the sound down as they always seemed to be much louder than the programs as if to grab your attention.
I didn't mind the well made adverts that were usually funny but the ones that just screamed at me drove me nuts.
I agree.

I always record anything worth watching so that I can skip past the adverts although, inevitably, I still catch bits of them.

I have heard that the TV companies deny turning up the volume for adverts - and announcements, for that matter. I have an idea, though, that they may be lying as when we visited the BBC at Salford the other day, the lady showing us a sound studio told us that, whatever their claims, they really do turn up the volume for adverts and some announcements.

Two things in particular really annoy me. That advert with the fat so-called 'opera singer', which is immediately turned off. The other thing is 'the shouty man' on ITV who, amongst other things, announces Coronation Street.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 01:54 PM

i agree with u doc '''
adverts are beginning to dominate our tv viewing 'ok yes we need them -but please for gods sake keep to a minimum 'they are getting longer and longer taking up so much prog time ..and some car adds have nothing to do with the actual car ...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 01:57 PM

Some ads put me off buying things, eg: Cillit Bang!
Ads are almost as annoying as music the council etc. plays when they put you on hold!
I'm sure they pick the most annoying tunes to make you hang up!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top