Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2013, 07:14 PM

Re: Hearing

If you have the implant, I hope everything works out well for you Steve...
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2013, 09:50 PM

gee i am still glad one of my ears are ok he says i have lost the nerve in my ear your right stvmk same here around water and in places like the mall
feels like tins in you ear when talking as for me there will be no opps not a option as on wafrin for life
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2013, 11:47 PM

Pixe, It is possible to stop Warfrine for an Op.your consultant should know this, they can give you something else temporary. You I think would have to stop it for about 4 days prior to your op. Ask him, if you havnt already done so, Im sure there is a way.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 03:06 AM

That's scary I am glad I have one ear that's ok went to the mall to day
Was hard to handle all the chatting my husband was with me I could not go alone
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
If you have the implant, I hope everything works out well for you Steve...
I've more or less decided I don't want the implant Mags.

I've had a long chat at Audiology and was told that not everyone gets on with Cochlear implants BUT the problem then is that ordinary, over-the-ear Digital Aids won't work as the operation actually cuts the "feed" from the inner ear completely and redirects it to the processor that's implanted in the back of the head.

That cannot be reversed!

I know that there is still research going on, mainly in the USA and Germany (can't get funding in the UK!!) and some of that is promising because they are trying biological implants but the last I read is that the rejection problem is still a long way from being overcome; a bit like early organ transplants.

The hollow channels of the inner ear are filled with liquid, and contain a sensory medium that is studded with hair cells.
THAT'S how you hear, because sound waves moving through the fluid push the filaments; if the filaments bend over enough it causes the hair cells to respond and the sound waves are transformed into nerve impulses to the portion of the cerebral cortex dedicated to sound.

American surgeons have grafted a tiny "mat" of microscopic hairs that was inserted in a deaf rat a few years ago and the results were promising but then rejection set in and I can't find anything now about whether they got any further.

There's also research into the creation of nanobots, tiny robots that can be inserted into the body and programmed to travel to a certain part of the body.

In theory they can be loaded with repair "hairs" to try to mend some of the broken hairs but again the body's response via the immune system has to be overcome so the problem is finding a material that is artificial but mimics stem cells for example.

In this country it's Cochlear Implants - or nothing on the NHS so, as private treatment is far beyond what I could ever afford, I'm stuck with the NHS "solutions" for the time being.

I waited seven years before the local NHS went over to Digital Aids, despite the fact that I was working full-time and elderly patients up and down the UK had had Digitals for years - that really annoys me because, in a way, my hearing problems cost me two jobs and then were a barrier to my getting any work at all.

It doesn't matter that the Law says Employers cannot discriminate against the disabled Mags, they find reasons to let you go or NOT take you on and there's nothing in the Law to back you up!
That's the major problem for disabled people now and the infamous ATOS decisions which are actually based on theoretical solutions with no substance in most cases.

It's no good saying that someone in a wheelchair is fit to work if there's access problems but they adjudicate on the premise that, if the employer makes this or that change, then that person can get access and do the job.

There's no consideration for the fact that very often large amounts of money are required to make structural changes to the actual buildings, only the IF they do this or that!!!

Anyway, sorry to go on a bit.

It's so frustrating knowing your hearing is gradually going and there's nothing that can be done. stevmk2
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 12:53 PM

Thanks for explaining it, Steve - I can now understand why Cochlear implants need a lot of thinking about before taking that step. I did know about the hairs cells assisting in relaying sound to the brain - it would be wonderful if doctors could eventually find a way of grafting microscopic hairs in the cochlea ..... goodness know what the cost would be though My digital aids cost me a couple of thousand pounds last year, I thought that was bad enough

Interesting post, Steve ... I wish you well.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2013, 02:18 PM

I wish you well too steve, I endure terrible problems with both ears, operation would be dodgy, so I just take medication and get on with it, its miserable though and feel for you too....
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by pixie ->
gee i am still glad one of my ears are ok he says i have lost the nerve in my ear your right stvmk same here around water and in places like the mall
feels like tins in you ear when talking as for me there will be no opps not a option as on wafrin for life
Ann darlin' - me too, but you can have operations. What happens is that you stop taking the Warfarin several days prior to the operation and its replaced with Tenzaparin (these are injections - into the stomach - they are somewhat painful, but it is a way of allowing you to be operated on).
pixie
Canada

25-02-2013, 03:35 PM

thanks for the info joe never knew about that
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 04:14 PM

Good luck to all those with hearing problems.
We learnt sign language because of our grandson ... the little devil now has new digital hearing aids, (when he feels like wearing them ) so he doesn,t sign now..unless he's with deaf friends.
It is different for him though, he was born deaf and his hearing improved a little! It is far worse to lose that sense with age, because when young the other senses heighten.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top