Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2012, 01:15 PM

Windows screens

you no I was in the uk a few weeks ago
I cant understand why over in the uk theres nothing to stop bugs getting into homes
that would be a good thing to have was horrifies in the bathroom trying to doge daddy long legs
my nabers while talking to them thought
I was kidding about

Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2012, 02:33 PM

Re: Windows screens

Hi Pixie,

it must be a British thing not worrying about a few bugs getting in to the house.
I notice on nNorth American tv doors are "double" and one is pulled out away from the house & the inner door opens in to the house.

Doors to the kitchen are RANCH doors that swing both ways, no double entendre intended. These type door are virtually unknown in the UK.

AS for spiders, I have it on good authority that they dont come up the plughole, rather fall off of ceiling and are trapped in the bath.
Erinaceous
East Anglia
Erinaceous is male  Erinaceous has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2012, 03:20 PM

With the increase in global warming there's going to be an increase in bugs and some very nasty ones at that can be the vectors for some very nasty diseases.

We've installed electric insect killers at the top of the stairs and although the violet light they emit and the odd “buzz” as something gets zapped takes just a little getting used to it's better than having that horrible whine telling you that there's something after your blood.

I can see that when the diseases that are carried by flying insects become established door and window screens will soon become very popular.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2012, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Erinaceous ->
With the increase in global warming there's going to be an increase in bugs and some very nasty ones at that can be the vectors for some very nasty diseases.

We've installed electric insect killers at the top of the stairs and although the violet light they emit and the odd “buzz” as something gets zapped takes just a little getting used to it's better than having that horrible whine telling you that there's something after your blood.

I can see that when the diseases that are carried by flying insects become established door and window screens will soon become very popular.
I've got fly screens in caravan but not in the house. Butcher with UV fly zapper had flies walking across his meat, butcher with no fly zapper had no flies often wondered if they were attracted by the zapper itself.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2012, 10:52 PM

We don't get nasties in my neck of the woods, apart from the odd wasp or midge. I have bug killers in the kitchen, which gets rid of any flies.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2012, 09:39 AM

If I leave my balcony door open (which I do when it gets warm), I get gnats and those very tiny fruit flies that insist on flying straight at you, but due to their small size its impossible to tell whether they're inches or feet away from you. I have a spray can on stand-by right beside me at all times!!!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2012, 07:23 PM

We've had barn doors in our kitchen for years, great when you have young pets or kiddies about, and a short fly curtain ensures nothing comes in.
Our patio doors are open all day (when it's warm) and we really don't get bugs. Like UJ, the odd gnat or fruit fly in the evening.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2012, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by pixie ->
you no I was in the uk a few weeks ago
I cant understand why over in the uk theres nothing to stop bugs getting into homes
that would be a good thing to have was horrifies in the bathroom trying to doge daddy long legs
my nabers while talking to them thought
I was kidding about

Alas, fly wire screens do not stop spiders nor would you want them to. they are designed to stop mozzies and flies from entering the house when windows and doors are left open. I have screens on all my doors and windows.

Anyway where would a house be without a good supply of Huntsman spiders eating all the much nastier bugs. The nice thing about Huntsman is that they don't built webs.

mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2012, 12:40 PM

Just been speaking to a relative in Oz. they have just come back from the vets. Their little dogs had a tick in it's eye, poor thing, he is now recovering after the trauma of having the little beastie taken out.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2012, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Just been speaking to a relative in Oz. they have just come back from the vets. Their little dogs had a tick in it's eye, poor thing, he is now recovering after the trauma of having the little beastie taken out.
Ticks and leeches have been a bit of a bugger the last couple of years with the wet weather.

You have to be careful with ticks though they can paralyse you if you don't get them off - more of a worry with kids - fortunately (or unfortunately?) that variety only exists in the coastal belt (where most people live). If you have animals you check them after a walk anyway.

Having said that all the years I had dog(s) never had a tick on them but I did lose one to a spider bite.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top