Join for free
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

25-09-2010, 09:56 PM

Audio Books

I love them

For me its sheer bliss going to bed and snuggling under the duvet with a good , well read and interesting book

It`s slowly replacing my love of reading , although not quite LOL

Anyone else share my passion for this ?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2010, 10:27 PM

Re: Audio Books

I nearly always snuggle down and read in bed until I fall asleep, but I have not tried audio books in bed yet.
Someone once gave me a couple of audio books which I had already read, but I found the reader's voice was a bit at odds with how I thought it should be read. I kept trying to mentally correct the inflection in his voice.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

25-09-2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I nearly always snuggle down and read in bed until I fall asleep, but I have not tried audio books in bed yet.
Someone once gave me a couple of audio books which I had already read, but I found the reader's voice was a bit at odds with how I thought it should be read. I kept trying to mentally correct the inflection in his voice.
Aaaww..... Thats a shame ...... S`pose it`s like seeing the film having read the book ....... It`s never the same is it ?

Dont let it put you off though ........ Lots of pleasure to be had being read too whilst you snuggle down

What genre of book do you like or fav authrors and i`ll see if I can recommend one or two for you ? .......... Try to make them ones you havnt already read though

Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2010, 10:49 PM

Thank you Topaz. I tend to like adventure and historical fiction. My favourite author is Wilbur Smith, although I have read every book he has written. I also like James Mitchener and Bill Bryson, but really I'll have a read at anything - not too keen on romantic novels though. I think I am also perhaps a bit boring beause these days I read an awful lot of non-fiction stuff. Regards.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

26-09-2010, 11:18 AM

I like James Mitchener too and my fav is " The Source " ...What a fabulous read that was ....... I have it on AB but havnt listened to it yet . ......... I have a couple of Bill Bryson ones i`ve yet to listen too as well , but as i`ve not read any of his stuff he`s a bit far down my list .......... Is he good ?

Before audio books I wasnt much of a reader of biographies or auto-biographies but have really got into them now ............ First I heard was Harry Patch - " The Last Fighting Tommy " ............ That was read by a guy with the same accent as HP and it was wonderful .Really felt you were living his life .

I mostly like to listen to my AB`s in the dark whilst hubby is downstairs in his office , so I get peace and quiet ....... Just me and the Dogs snuggled up ........... I tend to get more " into " the AB / reader when my other senses are shut down a bit - if you know what I mean

I`ve asked the staff at my Local Library to gather some at random for me . They put together six a month and I allow them to select from a good cross section of genres and authors ......... Seems to be working well for me so far ........ I`m listening to stuff I would never have read and whats more i`m enjoying it too
Sometimes in bed my hubby can hear me giggling from downstairs , especially if i`m listening to a funny .

Here are some i`ve read and enjoyed that I would have walked past in Book form .

Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

26-09-2010, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Topaz. I think I will give the Harry Patch one a go. The Eric Clapton autobiography I will try as well.

I do think Bill Bryson is good - he has a sense of humour and his books are crammed with information. At the moment I am reading one of his called "Australia" which has started off quite promising.
Take care and thanks again
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2010, 08:28 PM

I always take audio books with me when I go away in the caravan, I have a varied collection, mostly bought from the well known auction site.

The last two I purchased were Kathy Reichs, I always loved reading her books and wasn't disappointed with the audio version.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

27-09-2010, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the recommendation moetmum ......... I`ve never read or listened to any of Kathy Reichs books ......... Not sure if they are my cup of tea or not , but maybe should give one a bash , eh ?

Which one would you advise me to start off on ?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top