Join for free
Page 103 of 1676 « First < 3 53 93 101 102 103 104 105 113 153 203 603 1103 > Last »
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2016, 09:11 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Can anyone give me a genuine reason for the price of 2nd-hand iphones? My attention was today drawn to the ebay site,by a very excited and agitated friend who was bidding for a 2nd-hand one.
He was chuffed to BITS,that he secured it for "only" £475!!!
You what? Ok,I admit that,regarding mobile telephonic devices,I may be somewhat lacking in the enthusiasm department....but as I neither play infantile games,nor participate in 'Soshal Meeja',the main - in fact the ONLY - thing I consider important,is that a good signal is present at all times. To date,I have found NO uber-expensive plaything that can beat-or even equal-my trusty Nokia 6021,bought in Finland in 2005 whilst I was dutifully driving a roadtrain around all parts of Europe...including Russia...and never ONCE has it let me down. Price? The price was equivalent to £10. Still on the original battery,still holds useable charge for well over 3 days. [was once 5] I bought a brand new battery for it,genuine from Nokia,so not a Chinese copy,just two weeks ago;price £1.95.
Ok,I accept my interests lie in other directions and that for me and to me,a mobile phone is exactly that...but HTH can anyone justify paying such ridiculous amounts for an item that they KNOW will be outdated by Christmas??? A SECOND-HAND one,at that!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2016, 09:20 PM

I inherit mine from my kids, thought I'd lost mine for the second time in one month, first thought was, I have no insurance, and won't be replacing it, time to dig out the Blackberry.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2016, 09:20 PM

Pug, you make my polymath uncle Vivian look like a work experience youngster.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2016, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I inherit mine from my kids, thought I'd lost mine for the second time in one month, first thought was, I have no insurance, and won't be replacing it, time to dig out the Blackberry.
Mine is clockwork, we are so poor.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2016, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Mine is clockwork, we are so poor.
That sounds Cognitive.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2016, 10:17 PM

Ok....thanks RJ-I frequently am referred to as 'Polymath Pug' by several acquaintances - note I don't say 'friends'. They're the ones who jeer and gossip when I'm at a distance,but are VERY fast to ask for help,assistance,guidance or direction when the effluence interfaces with the air conditioning. No matter-this interwebz is an indirect medium of converse,so everyone is a hero. BUT,that aside....I've just had it explained to me fairly energetically,by Weedy & The Scrote [two teenage/early twenties girls who live along the lane-and yes,I'm very fond and protective of them both,despite the honorific appellations] that it's a 'generation thing'.
Apparently I 'couldn't possibly understand as I'm used to fountain pens,books,steam-trains and dynamos on bicycles'.....hmmm

.....there's actually quite a lot of truth in that.....[bloody females. TUT!]
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 11:49 AM

I don't use my cell -phone a lot but it remains invaluable particularly in the bush. when I first purchased it from Telstra [you must have heard about them?] it comes with all wizdrop extras that cost more money. the ability to surf the net and send pics to deranged children - it was costing me $130 a month and they never warn you. being a slow learner it took me a while to realize like 12 mths. I cancelled everything - NO i do not want continues picks of my grandkids they grow to fast!

so now I pay $30 a month - that's better. I sat around the lads table last week with his mates and his eldest daughter - they are constantly checking their effing cell phones and showing each other film clips and photos - and this is the new social scene - forget it - I sat back and smoked the cuban lady and drank the sour whiskey from the deep usa south!
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK

27-09-2016, 01:54 PM

I think it's just me,gumbud....mayhap,the way I relate [or,more accurately,fail to relate] to the ever-changing,ever-more-expensive personal technology. By which,I refer NOT to such advances as defibrillators,sandwich toasters,microwave ovens and,to a lesser degree,flat-screen tv sets,but to such items as wrist pedometers,mobile telephones that give you your heartbeat-rate,the weather conditions in Hammerfest,the price of coffee shares on NASDAQ,plus the current "Who said what about whom" whilst simultaneously solving inversional equasions,hosting a Facepalm conversation and notifying you that your chips are ready and how bad the traffic is on the M25. [it's shit,as per].
My,we've come a long way since the portable pencil-sharpener....and yet,at the same time,as a race,we're determined to self destruct,via that very same inventiveness that gave us humourous fridge magnets. Oh,well....I think I may join you,gummy. Mine's a Cuban & a large single malt,preferably Shetland Reel. #.....ahhhhh.....#
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

27-09-2016, 05:30 PM

I have the strong conviction that I should take a moore positive interest in the life of my teenage grandchildren. I have 3 more aged 2,4, & 9.

Give them not advice but causing them to realise what their natural talents are, their gifts & ability . THis said to inform the & use them in their lives.

From an early age all I wanted was to pursue gardening, maybe and livestock. But I lost my way, ended up doing just that.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 09:12 PM

yes gardening - reading about the allotment owners and their antics on this site does me heart good. can't beat rummaging around on an allotment.

can't believe that saudi is now almost bankrupt and usa will not bail them out - what is the world coming to ?

the israelis were the ones to make the desert come alive again with the sound of trickling water and plants galore I believe. yes gardening and madness do go together! whilst everyone kicks shit out of syria and dear old aleppo once a great trading city on the old silk road says goodbye to the past. it is not just the oldies who despair?

i am on my last viewing of the last dvd of heartbeat - in a world gone bye but if you watch "in the dales" doco still there! - what will I do next - well there's always hamish mcbeth or monarch of the glen to inspire me again or of course foyles war or ' a walk through the highlands' whoopee!

Page 103 of 1676 « First < 3 53 93 101 102 103 104 105 113 153 203 603 1103 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top