Join for free
Page 10 of 36 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 10:28 PM

Re: Energy: SMART Meters

You are buggered which ever way you go.
My supplier informs me that a smart meter cannot be fitted to my house because I have an economy 7 meter and a standard meter, therefore I supply them with two readings every month. Apparently the smart meters are not smart enough to handle this...yet!

Tomorrow I have a SMART Water meter fitted same as electric but obviously metering water.
This will replace my old meter which was read by a meter reader from a device outside the house. The new SMART meter will be read remotely. I didn’t have much choice really, if I had refused then I would be put back on an unmetered tariff which is obviously based on the number of bedrooms in your home. So with 4 bedrooms and only two of us now at home it will cost us an arm and a leg in water rates.
Using a meter has saved us a lot of money obviously but I do dislike the way this has been ‘forced ‘ upon us.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 10:38 PM

I hadn't heard of smart meters for water Rehab.
How do you know these 'remote' reading will be accurate?
Will you still double check it yourself to make sure? I would.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 10:57 PM

Severn Trent are rolling them out Mups, apparently you can read the meter yourself, ours will be fitted in the downstairs loo where the stopcock is located.
And of course I can check my account on line to see my usage. I am not sure if there is a separate display like you have for a power smartmeter though, information seems to be a bit thin on the ground, even the website doesn’t say much
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

18-10-2017, 09:58 AM

Well that was a load of nonsense, engineer arrived, took out old meter, replaced with new meter, without even switching the water off. And it’s not too smart after all. All it does is send a signal to a man in a van driving past whose computer will read my meter. Fitting took all of 20 minutes. Just to save a meter reader getting out of his van. Oh Hum!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 10:01 AM

That doesn't sound such a good idea after all then.
What a waste of time and money, unless they have some devious plan up their sleeves you don't know about yet?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

18-10-2017, 10:14 AM

I suppose it’s a financial decision Mups, no doubt I will have to pay for the meter and it’s installation through increased bills although we have been told it’s FREE, yeh right
I guess a man in a van with a computer can cover more ground quicker than having to physically go to each house to read the meter? And a cost saving by employing less meter readers, and they call it progress
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That doesn't sound such a good idea after all then.
What a waste of time and money, unless they have some devious plan up their sleeves you don't know about yet?
I think you have this whole smart meter lark summed up in just that sentence Mups.
There are no doubt lots of devious plans in hand from the utility companies, all designed by them to offload as much workforce as they can, and put your bills UP by perhaps charging different rates for different times of the day.

We are entering:

The Outer Limits!

There is nothing wrong with your electricity and gas supply.
Do not attempt to adjust them.
We are now controlling your supplies.
We control the electricity and your gas and your water bills.
We can deluge you with different rates of pay for different times of day.
We can shape your supplies to anything our imagination can conceive.
For the next decades we will control all that you see and hear.
You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the deepest inner mind of our money grabbing companies to the outer limits.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

I have already put laminated signs inside my gas and electricty meter boxes expressely forbidding anyone to install a smart meter (should they try and do so whilst I am away somewhere).
They have let the aluminium foil beanie brigade out again.

Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 01:13 PM

I keep getting come-ons from SSE about installing smart meters.

And I keep knocking them back....I went as far as threatening to switch providers if they sent me one more letter or unsolicited phone call about them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

18-10-2017, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I keep getting come-ons from SSE about installing smart meters.

And I keep knocking them back....I went as far as threatening to switch providers if they sent me one more letter or unsolicited phone call about them.

I don't blame you, they get on my wick too.

Page 10 of 36 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top