Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 02:10 PM

Re: Mental Time travel

Thanks for the links Sweetie Pie. I shall have a read of those.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 10:22 PM

Following on from one of the links that Sweetie Pie posted, regarding maths problems by someone who couldn't remember taking a maths lesson.

There used to be a guy who lived around here ( I haven't seen him for a while) he would ask you your date of birth, and within seconds he'd tell you which day of the week you were born on.
There have also been those who can tell what day a certain date in the future will be on, also without them having time to think about it.
These gifts (?) I understand are connected to autism, but maybe they're something else , because it's got to be part of the brain working, that most of us don't have the ability to use.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Following on from one of the links that Sweetie Pie posted, regarding maths problems by someone who couldn't remember taking a maths lesson.

There used to be a guy who lived around here ( I haven't seen him for a while) he would ask you your date of birth, and within seconds he'd tell you which day of the week you were born on.
There have also been those who can tell what day a certain date in the future will be on, also without them having time to think about it.
These gifts (?) I understand are connected to autism, but maybe they're something else , because it's got to be part of the brain working, that most of us don't have the ability to use.
It's like those people that can remember hundreds od facts after being told just once. Interesting stuff.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

06-02-2018, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Thanks for the links Sweetie Pie. I shall have a read of those.
I looked at the first two links Sweetie (the third didn't work) and found it very interesting. I am more convinced now that I am not time travelling but there's a thing where our brain recalls a memory and brings all the elements together, sort of recreating the original time making it feel real. Apparently not everyone can do this.

Anyway, your links led onto other sites and I have had a great time learning about head pops (when random pics or words pop into your head for no reason; and the tip of the tongue syndrome when you just can't remember someone's name because your memory is being blocked.

Then I completed an IQ test online only to find that they wanted £14.99 to send the results.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 08:57 PM

It's like those people that can remember hundreds od facts after being told just once. Interesting stuff.
I can remember films and books after seeing/reading them once only - even years after - I can relate them to friends.

It was very useful in school/uni days because it saved a lot of note taking. My friends have come to rely on my memory and often telephone for answers to quizzes or crosswords!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-02-2018, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I can remember films and books after seeing/reading them once only - even years after - I can relate them to friends.

It was very useful in school/uni days because it saved a lot of note taking. My friends have come to rely on my memory and often telephone for answers to quizzes or crosswords!!
that's impressive. I have only ever met one person like that on a college course. He only needed to be told once and he remembered it forever, didn't even need to revise before a test.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 12:01 PM

I looked at the first two links Sweetie (the third didn't work) and found it very interesting. I am more convinced now that I am not time travelling but there's a thing where our brain recalls a memory and brings all the elements together, sort of recreating the original time making it feel real. Apparently not everyone can do this.

Anyway, your links led onto other sites and I have had a great time learning about head pops (when random pics or words pop into your head for no reason; and the tip of the tongue syndrome when you just can't remember someone's name because your memory is being blocked.

Then I completed an IQ test online only to find that they wanted £14.99 to send the results.
£14.99!!!!
What a cheek!!!
Yes, Longlegs it is our long-term memory that is replayed.
The last of our memories to be erased by dementia.
The process of making these memories was a great fascination of Freud.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-02-2018, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
£14.99!!!!
What a cheek!!!
Yes, Longlegs it is our long-term memory that is replayed.
The last of our memories to be erased by dementia.
The process of making these memories was a great fascination of Freud.
When you actually think about it, memory is totally mind blowing isn't it. We take it all for granted but how does it actually work? When you think of how much information can be stored in that much space.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 12:11 PM

Hypnosis can take you back to earlier times
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 12:13 PM

When you actually think about it, memory is totally mind blowing isn't it. We take it all for granted but how does it actually work? When you think of how much information can be stored in that much space.
Well, I am not going to give you a psychology lesson my friend.
I hope this is not to complex if it is I can link a simpler explanation.
https://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi...76606775093909

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top