Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 10:10 AM

Staffies

I know for many even the word of the Kennel Club won't convince them but the mention of staffies yet again made me want to dance in the street, of course I knew it all along.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/gett...with-children/
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 10:48 AM

Re: Staffies

I love Staffies !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 11:33 AM

It's some of the people who own them that are the problem, sadly round here that has left me with less love for them than many breeds. I also get very confused when people who are responsible owners and have friendly dogs seem surprised when people shy away. It seems obvious to me why people do it.
Of all the encounters I have had with them only two have been positive so of course I go out of my way to avoid them

Have to say it's not the only breed I am very wary of though so it's not that I am singling out any one breed.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It's some of the people who own them that are the problem, sadly round here that has left me with less love for them than many breeds. I also get very confused when people who are responsible owners and have friendly dogs seem surprised when people shy away. It seems obvious to me why people do it.
Of all the encounters I have had with them only two have been positive so of course I go out of my way to avoid them

Have to say it's not the only breed I am very wary of though so it's not that I am singling out any one breed.
That reflects my experience as well Julie, my dogs seem to shy away from them as well, having once had a bad encounter.....
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 03:33 PM

My veterinarian told me once as we got chatting that there's something in the brain of this breed that can make them turn on a dime. Also wagging their tails can have the opposite meaning of most dogs. Whether it's all true or not, these dogs were not originally bred to be nice, gay, happy, dopey animals. They were bred for a certain reason.

I know up the whazoo that every dog has its own personality, even so called dopey dogs may attack. BUT, even if I owned one, I'd never let it around children.

Of course I never would own one of these dogs & I'm not sure if it's still in effect but they were banned here.

Give me a Doberman, Akita, Jack Russell or another Old English Sheepdog any day.

And you're right if you think I shouldn't a couple of these around children either. I wouldn't just to be on the safe side.

Most owners who own a lot of these dogs need them to feel macho themselves, women included & I'm not saying you are, just most.

As for a Doberman or Akita, of course there's that element as well. Certain breeds were bred for protection but there's a lot of moronic owners out there.

I don't own a Dobe or Akita btw but I do have a JR & did own an OES.

In my opinion, Staffordshire Terriers are too much dog for many owners & again, I say "Keep the damn things away from children!"
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
That reflects my experience as well Julie, my dogs seem to shy away from them as well, having once had a bad encounter.....

Same here Plantman. I know the Staffie enthusiasts think its unfair, but I have seen many, many more bad ones than good, including my own little dog being brutally attacked by one when she was walking with me on lead, and to make matters worse, she was also pregnant. The damn thing just flew at her for no reason whatsoever and wouldn't let her go.
It's not just the total lack of trust I have, I do not find the this breed remotely pleasing to look at either. They're just not my sort of dog at all.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Same here Plantman. I know the Staffie enthusiasts think its unfair, but I have seen many, many more bad ones than good, including my own little dog being brutally attacked while she was walking with me on lead, and to make matters worse, she was also pregnant.
It's not just the total lack of trust I have, I do not find the this breed remotely pleasing to look at either. They're just not my sort of dog at all.
I agree completely Mups. If my dog was ever attacked I'd want blood myself! Luckily out here in the country, we don't see them. In Toronto there were more & if there ever was a stereotypical owner, it was there. So glad they were banned. I'll have to see if they still are, but I really don't care since were not there any longer.

I don't find them pleasing to look at either, they look too human, even as pups.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 04:17 PM

It's odd when your dog is attacked or I found it so, poor old molliepops not a bad bone in her body just laid down and submitted the staffie mastiff cross didn't care she was submitting and scared, didn't care she was old and not fighting back just kept biting and biting her stomach and back thighs. I always thought I would intervene but I froze, I feel guilty still I let her down that day but I just couldn't move. I know I screamed and shouted no but my body just froze.

What really was scary was it took the owner (really big chap) to wrestle the dog off her, it was not controllable at all. Since then it has gone for us many times and we live in fear of it.

Not right we need more laws to cover dog on dog aggression IMO
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 04:54 PM

There's no doubt then my staffie would absolutely love you back!

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I love Staffies !
Baxter8
Somerset

13-04-2014, 04:58 PM

I know exactly where you're coming from Julie1962, my staffie absolutely loves people but I avoid dogs like the plague because mine can't be trusted around them. In my heart I'm opposed to BSL 100% but can't help thinking that some dogs (staffies included) can be genetically predisposed to aggression against other dogs - whether that is through moronic breeding i.e breeding the best fighter dogs or something else I don't know. I'm nervous about even discussing it for fear of a man with a tape measure knocking on the door.

I have to say hand on heart you're right to shy away, I'm sure some are extremely friendly but if not their strength is phenomenal and not something I'd want any dog to experience.

I myself don't put anybody in that position, the moment we see another dog we about turn and that will probably be for life.

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top