Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 01:48 AM

Another Doggie Mystery

This time it's Monroe.. My little Shih-Tzu. The other day I was petting him and I noticed a lump on his side. So I investigated.. It wasn't a lump.. it was a clump of matted fur.. But he was just groomed and his fur is short.. I got a warm wet clothe and started to clean it, as it looked like crusty gunk. When I was able to loosen it up and pull at it a hole appeared on his skin. like a crater the size of a pencil eraser. Not really bleeding.. Not purulent or infected looking and it didn't seem to hurt him. So I cleaned it good with peroxide and put some triple antibiotic in it and I'm hoping it heals up.

Hubby thinks it's a BB gun hole.. I don't think so as the dog is rarely outside and is never out alone without one of us.. and the way our yard is, its small and pretty much enclosed by fences and shrubs.. I don't know how and he is so short, I don't know how anyone could get a shot in at him. So what are any guesses. I'm giving it time and keeping an eye on it and hoping it will heal for right now. Opinions?
Mountain Lady
California
Mountain Lady is female  Mountain Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 03:16 AM

Re: Another Doggie Mystery

Could the groomer have done it? Years ago I had a Persian cat that had some dental work done and a vet technician decided to remove a mat and accidentally cut his skin bad enough that they had to put in a couple stitches. (We never asked them to groom the cat.) needless to say, that was the last time we used that veterinarian.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 08:45 AM

Must say grooming injury was first to my mind, we accidentally caught Duncan once with the scissors he didn't complain at the time but that turned into an abscess which sounds similar to what you describe.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 10:14 AM

The first thing that came to my mind as well was that it was done when Monroe went to the groomers.

Would certainly investigate more on that one, as you don't want it happening again and putting the dog in any pain.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 10:37 AM

Had a look at dog grooming scissors and there are two that have a end
just the same shape has a eraser on the end of a pencil.
Have a search for them.
Hope doggie is better soon.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 12:25 PM

That had crossed my mind briefly... and I must say it makes sense.. The clump of matted fur was the scab.. and my cleaning and rubbing it thinking it was just a bit of poo stuck to him.. which wouldn't have surprised me.. opened up the wound. It's perfectly round and red.. Of course both hubby and I put a grooming injury out of our minds in favor of a gunshot wound per hubby... and me?.... some sort of horrible cancer or flesh eating infection eating my dog alive.. hahahahah.. No. I think you are correct. The groomer probabley did it. I don't know how because monroe hardly moves let alone wiggles while being groomed.. he stands like a stone. The groomer has a new girl working for her.. Not sure what I should say or do if anything. It's been 2 weeks now and this is the first I noticed. This groomer has been doing my dogs for years. I hate to make accusations.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 12:38 PM

I am afraid I of the opinion accidents happen, when we did it we were horrified that we had hurt him, we loved him so you can imagine how we felt. When we spoke to the vet he was very matter of fact and down to earth about it and said anyone even an expert groomer will occasionally have accidents. If it happened more often then you have to do something about it and in our case that would have been get someone else to do it but a one off really can happen to anyone.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
That had crossed my mind briefly... and I must say it makes sense.. The clump of matted fur was the scab.. and my cleaning and rubbing it thinking it was just a bit of poo stuck to him.. which wouldn't have surprised me.. opened up the wound. It's perfectly round and red.. Of course both hubby and I put a grooming injury out of our minds in favor of a gunshot wound per hubby... and me?.... some sort of horrible cancer or flesh eating infection eating my dog alive.
It could have been a wart...some dogs are prone to them...our Boxers were.
AudreyII
USA

09-04-2014, 01:51 PM

Yes... that's a thought... In which case it's totally gone now.. just a hole left.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 08:44 PM

Sounds like an abscess. Our guinea pigs & bunnies get them from time to time in our home sanctuary. It doesn't hurt them once they've broken open. I know the pus is very toxic but it always breaks when you're not around. All the white pus should be gotten out then they have to heal on their own. I don't use anything in the hole because it has to heal from inside.

If this isn't what it is, then I guess anyone reading this just got Abscess 101 training.

Hope you find out what happened. Ours, it usually originates from a bite.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top