Join for free
Page 6 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 02:28 PM

Re: The new passports (Post-Brexit)

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I've read they don't all get printed in Britain under the current contract. It's funny how this all gets sensationalised by the press.
Yes, and I read yesterday that there was nothing under EU rules to say we couldnt have retained our blue passports all along!
Unbelievable.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Yes, and I read yesterday that there was nothing under EU rules to say we couldnt have retained our blue passports all along!
Unbelievable.
Ruthio that is my whole argument against Brexit. Most of the issues ordinary people voted for thinking they were EU dictats have turned out to be decisions made by our own successive governments despite the EU giving them flexibility on such matters. I remember around the time of the referendum result, a pro-brexit friend of mine making a FB post about how happy he was that we would finally have our blue passports back. A joke.

Brexit won't force our governments to change their policies. Because these are our policies not the EU's. I fail to see how ordinary voters will somehow have more influence on our governments after brexit. I'm sure some are planning a revolution. But one thing about revolutions is that they never have the result the people launching them intended.

In terms of other policies we should have been in there shaping them instead of sitting back and complaining when decisions were made without us.

There were just as many complaints when de la rue won the contract in 2010. There was talk of them being taken over by a French company. There is nothing to stop a foreign takeover in the future. This is the risk with shareholder owned multinationals, they are not a national institution but owned by individuals and investment companies around the globe.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 05:03 PM

I've read they don't all get printed in Britain under the current contract. It's funny how this all gets sensationalised by the press.
Thats what i heard also that we are printing some foreign passports here, looks like the cocked the bid up.

I would have thought it made sense to have certain products kept in house,and passport would be one of them.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Thats what i heard also that we are printing some foreign passports here, looks like the cocked the bid up.

I would have thought it made sense to have certain products kept in house,and passport would be one of them.
It's the encryption that's important. You can't get into any developed nation without going through electronic security these days. Of course any technology like that can be hacked into, but it doesn't matter where the printing takes place, the security is no longer in the paper documents but in whatever chip they add.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Unbelievable.
No, they had to have 'European Union' printed on them although, yes, they could have been blue coloured.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 09:56 PM

Ruthio that is my whole argument against Brexit. Most of the issues ordinary people voted for thinking they were EU dictats have turned out to be decisions made by our own successive governments despite the EU giving them flexibility on such matters. I remember around the time of the referendum result, a pro-brexit friend of mine making a FB post about how happy he was that we would finally have our blue passports back. A joke.

Brexit won't force our governments to change their policies. Because these are our policies not the EU's. I fail to see how ordinary voters will somehow have more influence on our governments after brexit. I'm sure some are planning a revolution. But one thing about revolutions is that they never have the result the people launching them intended.

In terms of other policies we should have been in there shaping them instead of sitting back and complaining when decisions were made without us.

There were just as many complaints when de la rue won the contract in 2010. There was talk of them being taken over by a French company. There is nothing to stop a foreign takeover in the future. This is the risk with shareholder owned multinationals, they are not a national institution but owned by individuals and investment companies around the globe.
Your still not understanding why people voted Brexit...despite having it explained to you in excruciating detail.
No-one really gives a flying fig about the colour of the passports.
You're focussing on the wrong arguments again, Annie!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 10:05 PM

If the government had gone for the more expensive option produced here and ignored the obligatory tender there would have been howls of protest about money being wasted by the awkward squad , sometimes you just can't win
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

25-03-2018, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Your still not understanding why people voted Brexit...despite having it explained to you in excruciating detail.
No-one really gives a flying fig about the colour of the passports.
You're focussing on the wrong arguments again, Annie!
As mentioned before I have several friends and colleagues who voted Brexit. They all had different reasons for doing so. One friend posted about blue passports. You may think that many voted brexit because they had an in-depth understanding of the socio/economic/political facts, but the reality is rather different. Some people voted because of the £350m bus....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

25-03-2018, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
If the government had gone for the more expensive option produced here and ignored the obligatory tender there would have been howls of protest about money being wasted by the awkward squad , sometimes you just can't win
Meg when the company complaining won the last tender there were complaints about it costing £100m more than before. It's clearly an expensive supplier and it's not surprising it could not do it for less.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2018, 06:50 AM

As mentioned before I have several friends and colleagues who voted Brexit. They all had different reasons for doing so. One friend posted about blue passports. You may think that many voted brexit because they had an in-depth understanding of the socio/economic/political facts, but the reality is rather different. Some people voted because of the £350m bus....
'Some' is not a particularly precise term and not a term to base an opinion on.

The matter of who wins a contract to print passports is an aside in the whole matter of Brexit.

To try to raise it to the level of a fundamental pillar of Brexit is either clutching at straws or a blinkered failure to comprehend the sense of abandonment felt by a large portion of Brexit voters.

Trying to diminish the validity of their choice by focussing on peripheral issues like this , or the £350m bus is just typical of the arrogance and repeated attempts of the Remain camp to claim the moral high ground.

Page 6 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top