Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2016, 10:19 AM

Re: Not as clever as I thought I was.

My Dad has always taught me to have a go first and if it goes wrong, get someone in. I have always done that and have been mostly successful but the problem these days is that DIY materials are so expensive.

A while back, I was going to make a shed storage rack out of timber but found it cheaper to buy one ready made than make it myself.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2016, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
My Dad has always taught me to have a go first and if it goes wrong, get someone in. I have always done that and have been mostly successful but the problem these days is that DIY materials are so expensive.

A while back, I was going to make a shed storage rack out of timber but found it cheaper to buy one ready made than make it myself.
We are living in a throwaway world LD's, in the past I would repair most things around the house, Toasters, Telly's and other bit's and pieces, but most things can not be accessed or repaired by the user, and you don't even have to wire a plug on these days, and it's far cheaper to throw it away and buy a new one. Making things always works out more expensive than to buy the ready made item. But are we losing essential skills?
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2016, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Swimmy you wont be the first to have tried and failed and even professionals get things wrong sometimes.
No, I don't.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2016, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
No, I don't.

Ah, but you tell fibs instead.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2016, 11:25 AM

Are you calling me a liar? Can you back it up?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2016, 11:47 AM

The good thing about DiY is that you know if you've done it yourself that it will have been done properly.

Well, sometimes!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2016, 12:47 PM

It happens to all of us, 40+ years of working in construction and it still goes pear shaped for me, most time its fine unless you have one of those backseat DIY experts behind you commenting in your ears as you work.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
. But are we losing essential skills?
Yes we are. I know it's a cliché but I remember everyone out repairing their cars on a Sunday morning (me included) whereas now it goes straight into the garage. We don't even clean them anymore, we leave that to the car valets.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 11:54 AM

We don't even clean them anymore, we leave that to the car valets.
I don't clean mine at all. A nice film of dirt protects the paintwork.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 01:17 PM

Yes we are. I know it's a cliché but I remember everyone out repairing their cars on a Sunday morning (me included) whereas now it goes straight into the garage. We don't even clean them anymore, we leave that to the car valets.

My butler sees to all that Dongles.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top