Join for free
Page 167 of 370 « First < 67 117 157 165 166 167 168 169 177 217 267 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 02:03 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Floydy I hope all your tests prove negative, enjoy the gym tomorrow ....
Originally Posted by Mups ->
May I second that, Floydy.
I know it's a nuisance, but best to get these things sorted and done with.
Do you think you might have been pushing yourself a little too hard of late?
Anyway, hope the test results all come back fine.
Thanks Mags, Mups

It's a strange one, this tbh.
I only seem to get affected at work. All of a sudden I'm in a horrible hazy, dazy hot flush (or flash), sweating and out of breath and I need to sit down for a few minutes. Then it goes away and I'm fine. It hasn't happened at all this week though and that gets me thinking that it's something I'm allergic to (apart from work!).
But I haven't had any additional sugar or salt this week (except what is naturally in food) and I've got used to coffee without it too. And as I say, the sweeteners are long gone also.

But it could be that I'm exercising too much as you mentioned, Mups. This week I only trained once, on Tuesday and coupled with my work at night which is physical and entails being on my feet most of the time, perhaps I need to do less at the gym?

Last night now though and I'm feeling refreshed as I have been all week. I'll be training hard later on but it's Friday and there's plenty of time to rest tonight.

So I'm playing it by ear atm. My diet is now really good, the belly is flatter and I'm feeling strong and alert, so I think over the weekend it's time to devise (yet another) revised routine.
Less is more?

Thanks all
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Oh dear, you Keep Fitters are falling like flies

Take things easy for a while and I hope you'll all be back on top form very soon.
No kidding! If you didn't know better you'd think we were running an old folks home on this thread.

OGF, I am terribly sorry to hear about your gravity storm. Are you ok? Ow, ow, ow. It sounds like the kind of injuries we used to get as kids when skinned knees and gravel in hands were more the norm than not. I hope Mrs. Fox has been administering some special TLC .

It sounds like you have a competent GP, Floydy. Hopefully all of those tests will come up with a simple problem with an easy solution. I can't help but wonder how you would feel overall if you could resolve that chronic ear problem.

Bruised, taped, and with my running shoes on, which was no small feat (haha, pun), I was able to wrestle the bike onto the back of the car. A few miles down a road busy with tourist traffic, I turned off the beaten path to the less-visited beach road that is the scene of many runs this time of year. I knew a good cycle would knock off a few calories and work my leg muscles in a different manner. while my phalanges healed All this I told myself to squelch the deflated voice in my head that said this really just wasn't the same somehow.

I do love my little blue bike (the one in the painting with my border collie) and knew that riding in the most difficult gear settings would help me keep my aerobics fitness at least in the neighborhood of running for the next few weeks. With long stretches of the roadway before me, I pushed off, testing my irritable toe and with no complaints from any of the ten - I began to pick up speed. In no time, the rows of flowering sea oats seemed to speed past in a blur, and my efforts were easily distracted by the rolling sets of waves that frothed white a few dozen yards away. I was surprised at how easy the peddling was; at full speed I out-cycled snowy plovers diving at me to protect their nests and relished the feel of the breeze coming at right angles off of the gulf.

And then I turned around.

No longer with the breeze at my back, the heat hit me like a sauna. A steady ten mile mountain (ok, a little exaggerated) lay before me with the effortlessness turning off like a switch. With all my might I pedaled, snail-slow, huffing and puffing, thighs burning, inching my way back. One mile, two...I counted each one in sheer determination. Why did I do this in ninety degree weather? Why didn't I just stay at home and watch a move and HEAL? Could this lead to cardiac arrest? Could this be THE END?

At least I wasn't thinking about my toe anymore.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 11:23 AM

Thanks Mups, the hug seems to have done the trick. x Determined to get round my five mile route anyway I could, at 7:30 am (later than usual) I set off with Apple in hand and my finest pair of walking shorts on. I argued that seeing someone walking in running kit is bad form, so wearing walking shorts at least I could walk and run, but I guessed that after yesterdays flying lesson, it would be more walking than running....

How wrong I was, so after discarding my apple cog I jogged steadily past the scene of the accident taking care to raise my knees sufficiently to clear all hidden obstacles, and to my surprise it felt good. Although there were times when I succumbed to a walk (more due to the heat than any injury) I managed to arrive home still in an upright position and a decent time of 65 minutes.

Thanks Mags, I don't believe in superstition, and it's not your fault if I can't look where I'm going - Call meself a 'Fell Runner!'....

You were quite right Floydy, I wouldn't let a load of stiffness and bruising prevent me from doing a scheduled run, although I was a bit peeved that I went home yesterday instead of carrying on....Must be getting soft.....
It's good to hear that your Doctor has instigated all those tests Floydy, even if they don't find anything wrong (and I hope they don't) it will certainly give you peace of mind and confidence.....

And last but not least......Surfermom!
You were right too, nothing too serious just superficial gravel rash and bruising, it could have been a lot worse, like if anyone would have seen me fall, worse still if they filmed it on their smartphone....
Ha ha ha, your report on the cycling made me laugh, been there many times, riding out with the wind behind me (could have kept up with Bradley Wiggins) and then turning for home and realising how windy it was today.... I once cycled to Hornsea (a seaside town about fifty five miles away) I managed a creditable 17mph average on the outward journey, that changed to 11mph on the homeward one.... To say I was wiped out when I arrived home would have been an understatement....Thank God for 'Mars Bars' is all I can say....

This was the result of the skirmish with gravity yesterday.....Lots of swelling....

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Thanks Mags, Mups

It's a strange one, this tbh.
I only seem to get affected at work. All of a sudden I'm in a horrible hazy, dazy hot flush (or flash), sweating and out of breath and I need to sit down for a few minutes.
Then it goes away and I'm fine. It hasn't happened at all this week though and that gets me thinking that it's something I'm allergic to (apart from work!).

But it could be that I'm exercising too much as you mentioned, Mups. This week I only trained once, on Tuesday and coupled with my work at night which is physical and entails being on my feet most of the time, perhaps I need to do less at the gym?

Thanks all

Floydy, your symptoms of breathlessness and heat, dizzy etc are worrying me.

Please forgive me if you feel I sound an alarmist, but these strange feelings can also be a sign of something else, which I thought of as soon as I read your post.

You do push yourself hard and building big muscles isn't the only way to look after yourself.
What it gives you a six pack and strength, and a physique to be admired.

BUT, being muscular won't make you more flexible, help your lungs, help your joints, or your peace of mind.

We are none of us getting younger, may I ask whether your hard work is appropriate for a man your age, or a younger man? Please don't be offended.

Back to the beginning though, what I was thinking was maybe when you go doc's, maybe it would be worthwhile asking him to check your heart out? Tell him about those symptoms.

I have heard before about shoulder pain associated with a heart problem, plus, look at this from the Heart Foundation.

Other symptoms:

You may:

feel short of breath
feel nauseous
have a cold sweat
feel dizzy or light-headed.

These were all the symptoms you said you were experiencing Floydy.
Maybe it wouldn't hur to re-design your work out a little?

I do hope I haven't said anything wrong.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Floydy, your symptoms of breathlessness and heat, dizzy etc are worrying me.

Please forgive me if you feel I sound an alarmist, but these strange feelings can also be a sign of something else, which I thought of as soon as I read your post.

You do push yourself hard and building big muscles isn't the only way to look after yourself.
What it gives you a six pack and strength, and a physique to be admired.

BUT, being muscular won't make you more flexible, help your lungs, help your joints, or your peace of mind.

We are none of us getting younger, may I ask whether your hard work is appropriate for a man your age, or a younger man? Please don't be offended.

Back to the beginning though, what I was thinking was maybe when you go doc's, maybe it would be worthwhile asking him to check your heart out? Tell him about those symptoms.

I have heard before about shoulder pain associated with a heart problem, plus, look at this from the Heart Foundation.

Other symptoms:

You may:

feel short of breath
feel nauseous
have a cold sweat
feel dizzy or light-headed.

These were all the symptoms you said you were experiencing Floydy.
Maybe it wouldn't hur to re-design your work out a little?

I do hope I haven't said anything wrong.
Hi Mups, thanks

I saw the doc yesterday as you know, and he wasn't concerned about a heart problem at all. In fact, he was very happy that I spent time exercising and having a pretty good diet also. He also virtually ruled out diabetes.
He said the bloods are a precaution. He looked me over, said I wasn't unduly overweight except for the muscle, which is good he said, and just to see what the blood tests show up - those are to be done next Wednesday.
Yes, I have some symptoms of heart-related issues, but those symptoms could also be because of a food allergy. We all get feelings of nausea and grogginess after a decidedly dodgy meal occasionally and at the moment I'm just waiting to see if I get any repeat of these in the meantime.

My training routine is pretty intensive, but that's the point of exercise. True, I'm now in my fifties and I do tell myself that I should be taking things easier at the gym - but it's manageable and I do feel good following a workout.
I don't go all out to "build muscle" anymore, I recently decided I'm fighting a losing battle there as the natural ageing process has other ideas. What I do, I do to maintain a reasonably healthy and fit-looking physique and in turn this is good for my cardiovascular system which leads towards a healthy heart. I push myself hard once a week at the weekend, but there's no work to be done, so I have time to rest on the night.
However, I have now made the decision to do just one training session during the working week, probably on a Tuesday or Wednesday, which will be an hour of lighter exercise to keep things ticking over. The legs session is still on a Sunday and my intensive effort on a Friday (but I'm giving that a miss now today for this week). That is the bare minimum I want to do, anything less wouldn't be worth bothering with.

My job entails a lot of walking around a very large warehouse (or distribution centre), which talking to some of the other lads, means between 8-10 miles on my feet each night. That's why I don't need any other cardio work at the gym. I'm also moving stock around, which is often heavy, palletising it and relocating the stock to another location. This is active work but I manage it well.

Aside from these dizzy spells etc, which I haven't actually experienced last week incidentally, I'm feeling fitter than I have done for quite some time and I put that down to three main areas of change in my lifestyle:

1. Diet - I'm much more cautious of sugar and salt intake and eat less during my night shift.

2. Exercise - The high rep structure is far more worthwhile than going for great gains in strength anymore - I can still maintain a decent physique. I've done this kind of exercise for over thirty years and I enjoy it.

3. Home life - Making more time for myself is essential and I'm achieving this at last by doing less gym sessions per week. Instead I'm collecting my granddaughter twice a week, plus spending more time for "me" by sitting out in the garden on an afternoon reading a book or just generally "chilling out". That bloody albums thread had me tied up for over five months and I know that wasn't good for me too spending up to three hours each day on the net! Thank God that's done with...never again!

I'm sure I'm going about this much more positively than I have in years, and this routine should ensure I stay relatively healthy and fit.

But thanks very much, Mups for your concern, it's highly appreciated and I'll just wait now for the blood tests and subsequent results and take it from there
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 02:36 PM

OK Floydy, that sounds more reassuring now.

Maybe I get a bit twitchy with heart things because that's how I lost my Dad.

Enjoy your exercise - but stay safe.

Ooh, there you go now . . .

Foxy - glad you feel on the mend. Be careful though.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

22-06-2018, 06:19 PM

Thanks Mups
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2018, 06:35 AM

Yes, yes, dittoing Mups, Floydy to say that it's good to hear that this is not overly concerning. Dehydration, lack of sleep, diet, even that ear problem could be the culprit. You might think about keeping a food, drink, exercise, sleep, and behavior journal for a while to look for patterns since you are already noticing that things are happening more often at work.

Wow, OGF! You are a mess! . The good news is that the kitchen around you looks great! Seriously, that was quite a tumble you must have taken and I am relieved that it wasn't more serious. The other bit of good news is that it will heal much, much faster than your piriformis...and your pride .

Today was another round of cycling with lighter winds so my own pride was in better shape today, along with my quads and hamstrings. I have to say though, I have never done any activity that remotely makes me feel as good and accomplished as running does. I hope this toe heals quickly lest I become nothing more than a gelatinous blob.

I hope this finds you all on your way outdoors!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

23-06-2018, 06:45 PM

The thing I notice most about our postings (and I'm sorry if I don't include some members who post in this thread, but I guess you will understand too), is that between three main 'core' of us who regularly post here - that is, Bob, Suzie and myself - we have our oh-so-traumatic piutfalls; our ups and downs and our "as if it's going to be the end opf the world if we don't carry on exercising" scenarios.....but guys (and gals), we DO CARRY ON...and it's mainly because we are compelled to do so; we train in our own way, whether it be running, surfing, weight lifting; whatever. We just do it

Is it because we don't want to let anybody down on this here forum because we may not appear with a post? (possibly), Are we getting lazy (I think not)?, Are we otherwise busy? (perhaps), or is it because we like to exercise (most definitely of course!!)?!

So we carry on through our niggles, our pain. Our backache, our, toe problems, our nausea, our, kitchen redevelopment, our pilfomis muscle playing up, our bad weather and storms, our dizziness, our personal issues and our general angsty hang-ups!

We keep training. It's what we do.

Good on yer I say. ALL OF YOU!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

23-06-2018, 06:54 PM

Postponed from last night when I just wasn’t in the frame of mind to bother...here’s (part one) of my big session for the weekend.

Again, ever-the-different-Floydy; never by the book of what should be, I somehow came up with a quite productive session (and with rather surprisingly amazing results) which had me doing 50 reps in total over as few sets as possible until I reached ‘failure’ point. Three sets of everything…what a bore!
Here we go…

Saturday, 23/6/18:

DB bench press:
22x20, 15x20, 13x20

Smith shoulder press:
17x30, 12x30, 10x30, 11x30

Smith bench press:
16x40, 15x40, 14x40, 5x40

Lat pulldown, hammer bar:
27x40, 15x40, 8x40

Seated row:
20x41, 16x41, 14x41

Chest press:
30x50, 20x50

Pec dec:
26x40, 24x40

Fly dec - delts setting:
25x65, 25x65

Fly dec - biceps setting:
25x65, 25x65

Single DB press:
22x50, 17x50, 11x50

Tricep extensions:
18x50, 15x50, 9x50, 8x50

Tricep push downs:
28x20, 22x20

Tricep pulldown w/backrest:
20x20, 20x20, 10x20

Time: 1hr. 15mins

Well, by the end of this my triceps especially were looking like added-on sandbags on the back of my arms. So something must have gone right.
Tomorrow: Biceps and legs.

Thanks for reading

Page 167 of 370 « First < 67 117 157 165 166 167 168 169 177 217 267 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top