Join for free
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2009, 11:22 AM

Travels With My Map

Travels With My Map

This morning, as we drove across a frosty moor, a mysterious mist enveloped us but we were brave and laughed in the face of adversity. The gorse bushes white and shivering with fear and cold, envied us our warm cosy automobile.

Armed with nothing but our trusty map, (dated 1946) we conquered the roads known as 'M', arriving at our destination with only a few minor detours, and later, turning back with new found confidence, we came home to find that it was still where we left it.

Do you remember going to bed one night when Bristol was in Somerset, only to wake up next morning to find it had been moved to Avon? I have never since, trusted an address to stay where it is put.

M & M aka Mmmmmmm xx
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2009, 12:06 PM

Re: Travels With My Map

Imagine living on the Franco-German border in 1900 - those people were French then German then French again with monotonous regularity weren't they? Now that must be a tad more disconcerting that being a happy Somerset-er one day and a resident of some strange new land called Avon the next
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2009, 04:02 PM

I can't remember Bristol ever being in Somerset, it was always a City and County in its own right. It was changed briefly to Avon but reverted back to its county status once again in 1996.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2009, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->

Imagine living on the Franco-German border in 1900 - those people were French then German then French again with monotonous regularity weren't they? Now that must be a tad more disconcerting that being a happy Somerset-er one day and a resident of some strange new land called Avon the next
Did they have to keep changing language, because that could be very confusing

Bonne nuit mon chéri

Gutenmorgen mein Liebling

You would not know where you were .... the problems involved .... meals ... croissants of cabbage?
Myth and Magic
UK

02-12-2009, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I can't remember Bristol ever being in Somerset, it was always a City and County in its own right. It was changed briefly to Avon but reverted back to its county status once again in 1996.
That Bristol has been around a bit Perhaps it is the influence of the docks:

A friend of mine was born in Bristol Somerset, perhaps she is older than you.
My 1966 AA Book has Bristol in Glos.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2009, 01:05 PM

Probably depends on north or south of Bristol (historically speaking)
I know Alastair Hignell (England and Gloucestershire Cricketer and rugby player, and , latterly, sports commentator) used to get severe stick from The Shed at Kingsholm, Gloucester's rugby ground, when he ran out in Bristol shirt - P*** o** back to Bristol etc ... not a lot of fellow feeling, Gloucester folk not feeling that they were part of Gloucestershire - even though the county cricket team has its base in Bristol

Oh ... it's all too complicated!
Myth and Magic
UK

02-12-2009, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Probably depends on north or south of Bristol (historically speaking)
I know Alastair Hignell (England and Gloucestershire Cricketer and rugby player, and , latterly, sports commentator) used to get severe stick from The Shed at Kingsholm, Gloucester's rugby ground, when he ran out in Bristol shirt - P*** o** back to Bristol etc ... not a lot of fellow feeling, Gloucester folk not feeling that they were part of Gloucestershire - even though the county cricket team has its base in Bristol

Oh ... it's all too complicated!
That is some confused city! Did they have a language problem?

Ooh arrr!
or
Arrr ooh!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top