Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2014, 09:15 AM

Valspar paint

B&Q are now stockin Valspar paint. I quite fancy some of the colours for painting my hall & landing, but it's a lot dearer than Dulux. Anyone used this paint - is it any good?
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2014, 10:09 AM

Re: Valspar paint

Valspar! That's a blast from the past
We used it for painting our bikes, it was very hard and glossy.
I have no idea what todays Valspar is like, be interesting to hear.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2014, 12:51 PM

I seem to remember it from years ago
After the fiasco with Crown and Dulux white paint turning yellow apparently due to a change of content to comply with
an EU ruling I might give it a try
Brian 8451
United Kingdom
Brian 8451 is male  Brian 8451 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2014, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
B&Q are now stockin Valspar paint. I quite fancy some of the colours for painting my hall & landing, but it's a lot dearer than Dulux. Anyone used this paint - is it any good?
Yes that is a very old make and if my memory serves me right never had mass appeal more a niche market product. A quick Google of 'Valspar paint review' threw up a few worrying complaints of it not drying properly even after one week. Personally if I need a hard wearing paint for walls at home I would choose Dulux Diamond range, it has served me well in the past.
Hope this helps ,
Brian.
Marki
East Midlands -UK
Marki is male  Marki has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2014, 04:00 PM

From 45 year in the building industry, Imo, Valspar paint is extremely good quality and is much better than Dulux or Crown.

Johnson's paints are my preferred choice, but Valspar even beats their excellent quality. Wilkinson had an offer with Valspar paints a little while ago so picked up a cpl of gallon of white emulsion for home use. Another excellent paint that we don't see much of is 'Permoglaze'.
Marki
East Midlands -UK
Marki is male  Marki has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2014, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Brian 8451 ->
Personally if I need a hard wearing paint for walls at home I would choose Dulux Diamond range, it has served me well in the past.
+1.

Dulux diamond rage is very good paint indeed.
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2014, 08:16 PM

My brother in law and his neighbour who were both painters, painted a 1950 Humber Super Snipe car with maroon Valspar paint and it looked a million dollars when it was finished
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Marki ->
From 45 year in the building industry, Imo, Valspar paint is extremely good quality and is much better than Dulux or Crown.

Johnson's paints are my preferred choice, but Valspar even beats their excellent quality. Wilkinson had an offer with Valspar paints a little while ago so picked up a cpl of gallon of white emulsion for home use. Another excellent paint that we don't see much of is 'Permoglaze'.
Gotta go with you on Johnsons Marki - great stuff to use on walls.
At home I use Crown Gloss a lot - seems to hold it's Brilliant White better than most but then I tried a Wilkes one last year - not bad but needed 2 coats, despite what they said! stevmk2
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2014, 07:35 AM

My first car, 1938 Austin Big Seven, had been painted with Valspar and it was a mess.

While it was off the road for Dad to try and sort out the electrics, he decided I should me rub it down so it could be repainted ... I was around 20 and really didn't want to spend my free time doing that sort of thing thank you
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2014, 12:45 PM

Steve, I wouldn't touch Crown white paint. I tried using it and it went yellowish very quickly. For preference, I use Dulux Trade white. However, I've gone off the re-formulated trade undercoat which takes ages to dry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top