Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2014, 05:42 PM

Re: Automatic transmission.

I agree dukeofearl, on the road, the quoted MPG figures are probably worse, and the differential greater
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2014, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->

Mondeo Titanium X Sport 2.2 Diesel

Manual £28,560.00 OTR, Road Tax £180.00 PA, 47MPG, tank range 724 miles

Automatic £30,070.00 OTR, Road Tax £205.00 PA (more pollution), 44MPG, tank range 669 miles

Just over £1500 more initial cost, nominal road tax difference, ball park 60 miles less on every tank full, and most importantly, the manual is half a second faster to 62mph,even with two or three manual gear shifts.
So, typical b****y Ford then.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 06:36 PM

Had a Toyota Prius T Spirit for three years, the hybrid has an advantage of an electric motor giving more control when braking. In traffic an auto is more restful to drive, but charging round the country at high speed, my former BMW was hard to beat.

Don't buy an auto if you are getting on and it is perhaps your last car. Accidents are high I read somewhere....

Mike
billclay
west Yorkshire
billclay is male  billclay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 07:26 PM

Thanks for reply Mike, hmmm yes i am getting on a bit, we have actually bought an automatic and so far so good, the best part of it is that i can set the seat a long way back and its a lot easier on the legs as i dont feel so cramped, but after 50yrs. of driving a manual trasmission car, i am still trying to change gear occasionally. feels good though.
Magic
United States
Magic is female  Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 08:36 PM

I have neven driven anything but an automatic and have always had complete control.....Proud to say I've never gotten a traffic ticket or thankfully never had an accident. No matter what you drive you have to keep your eyes on the road at all times.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 08:42 AM

I changed over to automatics many years ago to help my joints. Diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in the very late 1980s I found changing gear to be extremely painful and wearying for my left hand. Most probably didn't do my legs any good either! So when my last manual bit the dust I started trying out autos and haven't looked back since.

I've probably told you all though the story of when I drove a Mazda MX5 at a car show in the Zoom Zoom challenge. It was manual and I had to be reminded of which pedal was which, AND stalled just before the finishing line, with other competitors approaching me fast from behind! What an embarrassment.

Autos for me always now, but I will make an exception if ever I do buy the much wanted MX5...
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 04:55 PM

I don't drive but OH bought a Ford Focus estate automatic about 7 years ago & we still have it. He found it hard to drive a manual with his disabilities too, but he likes the automatic.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 06:58 AM

Changed both our vehicles to automatics in recent years , out of necessity, and now would not change back. My husbands disability vehicle, A Renault Master, can be manual or automatic. Accidents don't happen any more frequently than with a manual, they are pretty fail safe these days unlike the early days.

I haven't noticed any reduction in power, although one is 4.8 so difficult to judge. Acceleration excellent. Any of the earlier automatic problems have been over come, and much easier when driving long distances or in traffic. I am totally sold on them now.

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top