Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2010, 09:21 AM

Removing built up Carbon From Baking Trays

Can anyone tell me how you can remove very heavy built up lumpy carbon from baking trays and underneath of grill pans please.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2010, 10:00 AM

Re: Removing built up Carbon From Baking Trays

Ooh .... I'll be interested to see the answers to this too!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2010, 10:29 AM

Hi Bev I do this the same way I clean my oven.

I bought a plastic container from Lakland Plastics (any cheap plastic container will do you just need one big enough) and I put this in the garage and fill with very hot water and household ammonia (from a hardware shop ).

Because of the fumes it needs to be done somewhere out of the house and away from pets, I put a bin bag over the top of the container .

Leave to soak overnight and next day the build up of carbon should be easily removed with Brillo pads
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2010, 01:01 PM

Years ago when my Dad used to work nights in an engineering factory, he used to take Mum's gas oven top parts to work and soak them in some sort of acid overnight. They came back next morning gleaming like new! Mum never did let her secret out to our nosey neighbour!
Dollychris
South Wales
Dollychris is female  Dollychris has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 04:51 PM

I've found that if you use the laundry stain remover powder in the pan with water and pop on a low heat on top of the hob and let it simmer away it will help to get rid of baked on stains etc., Well worth a try and have also used for cleaning the top of the hob. To do this I just wet the hob and sprinkle lightly with the powder and leave a while then 'scrub' with a kitchen scrub sponge. Come up sparkling - hope this helps a little.
mrmojorisin
Tangy Town, UK
mrmojorisin is male  mrmojorisin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 06:25 PM

Turn the oven up to 450C that'll do it !
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 06:47 PM

This is amazing stuff and for sale in most well stocked supermarkets. You put the trays and racks in a bag that comes with it and it soaks in the potion and theres no mess! It restored a very yukky but expensive roasting tray of mine.
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Oven_Pride__Review_5352996
Dollychris
South Wales
Dollychris is female  Dollychris has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 11:43 PM

I used this and it is brilliant in ovens but took the paint off the top of my Black hob so be very careful as is caustic. x
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dollychris ->
I used this and it is brilliant in ovens but took the paint off the top of my Black hob so be very careful as is caustic. x
I took my trays and racks outside and did it there so nothing was in contact with the rest of the stove..
Dollychris
South Wales

23-01-2011, 11:58 AM

I should have read the instructions more carefully but luckily noticed as soon as I applied a little so not a huge amount of damage done. Taught me an important lesson but didn't realise how powerful a product it was. It did state to be careful with use...........x

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top