Join for free
Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 03:36 AM

Re: Removing concrete anchor bolts

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Are the nuts visible ?
Can't you undo them after a good over night soaking in WD 40 ?

I suspect they might turn anyway, along with the part in the ground.

Next.......try whacking them in, and knocking them sideways until they loosen a bit......then a nailbar in the threads might lift it.

There is a retaining wire ring holding the parts that spread the fixing in the ground, once that loosens the bolt will fall out...................give it some welly side to side.
Thanks Bruv, appreciated.
I've tried WD40, which loosened the nuts and I managed to remove them, but the shank of the bolt if still left in the ground with the top inch sticking out.

Good idea about 'whacking' the bolts, but I don't want to damage the concrete around them too much as any new bolts may not be tight enough....it may well be the best option to cement a new post in after all.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Why not just replace the post?
Because I've removed the entire bracket and can't get the bolts out.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

10-07-2017, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Use an angle grinder and cut them off
But then I would need to drill some more holes. I've measured my fence to fit exactly where the old post went.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

10-07-2017, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Apologies ... I failed to appreciate that the metal wotsit is knackered.

Any good at welding?
No it's knackered. Easier to buy a new bracket.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

10-07-2017, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Why not just put galvanised metal posts in the first place they are about the same price as the same length hardwood 125mm by 75mm hardwood posts.

I still used 150mm by 150mm hardwood posts for my gates but the rest of the fence was steel posts.

This was done 8 years ago and I expect it to last another 20 at least.
Nice job Bruce

It's a wooden post for a gate that I'm replacing. I can't use galvanised as the hinges won't fit properly.

I'm at work now but I'll try to send a photo tomorrow, unless I manage to solve this scratch-headed problem.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 05:20 AM

Hi

Use a hollow core drill to drill into the concrete around them and drill down 20mm below the length of the bolt.

Snap them off, pull them out and fill the hole with epoxy and insert new bolts.

Hollow core drill bits are available for SDS Drills.

This is the method used for replacing the linings of Nuclear Pressure Vessels.

It should work for your fence.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Nice job Bruce

It's a wooden post for a gate that I'm replacing. I can't use galvanised as the hinges won't fit properly.

I'm at work now but I'll try to send a photo tomorrow, unless I manage to solve this scratch-headed problem.
Why not just pull the concrete out and replace it I don't think you can get those bolts out by their nature they are designed to not pull out. When I pulled out the wood posts from my old fence I pulled out/broke up the concrete they were set in and reused the hole. A few bags of ready mix is cheap enough.

The alternative is to use H4 treated pine timber set in the concrete, nothing, not even termites attacks them. I have some forming a retaining wall that has been there 37 years , no sign of rot or damage. (Has to be H4)
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 05:55 AM

Hi

Bruce has a good point there.

We put fishing pegs in the River Severn, hundreds of them.

The posts are 20 year guaranteed Marine Tanalised, set in Concrete.

They are sometimes vandalised or damaged.

To make them easier to replace, we smother them with grease and then put a plastic bag around them before setting in the concrete.

They then slide in and out without any problem.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	22__River_Severn__Shrewsbury_Sun_18th_Oct_for_website.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	3322  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

To make them easier to replace, we smother them with grease and then put a plastic bag around them before setting in the concrete.

They then slide in and out without any problem.
I am not sure you even need to grease them when we replaced the old fence we just levered the old posts out then either smashed the concrete they were set in or, if it was still in good condition, put in a (much thinner) metal post and added more concrete.

My kids will hate this photo but they were much younger then and not happy about being made to work but you can see how easy the old posts came out with suitable leverage.

Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world. - Archimedes (200BC)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	09-03-10 Fencing 017.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	3323  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2017, 09:48 AM

There is a trick using a left handed drill bit which can be used on sheared bolts but not sure if it it would work on anchor bolts though.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...=1499676373273

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top