Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 07:08 PM

Dear Mups. Please do not say ‘I told you so’!

Holly has so far been diagnosed with cryptosporidium and Giardia!

We are going back to the vet in the morning (she phoned me about an hour ago) for more antibiotics and Panacur, for the G but as for the first one, she should fight it off herself.

Now the dilemma is, I could face losing my Christmas break in Bournemouth because of this. I phoned the carer out of courtesy, who would have taken her but he has other clients and needs to put their welfare first, so he will do more research first. However the vet, when I phoned her to check up, thinks it may be too soon, if she is due to go Friday. I will therefore update Simon when I have more answers, or if the kennels can take her.

My last resort is the boarding kennels where she had her vac. I spoke to vet reception and she said they do take pets with illnesses and do administer treatment if necessary, but I won’t know till tomorrow at 9am when they reopen if they have a vacancy. I checked their price list and it’s not horrific.

Tried phoning the breeder but they aren’t answering. Hmph, wonder why?!

Also tried another person in the area but they aren’t answering either and are likely to be already booked.

This has really upset me. Not only because I could then face Christmas at home alone, but the fact she does have these and the cost to me. I WILL be losing out financially.

I did take out insurance for the holiday so it’s likely I could make a claim, and hopefully the KC will reimburse me some of my costs, but as a I said, it isn’t guaranteed. Full results aren’ Back yet.

As I am devastated about this, I cannot take heavy criticism or harsh words from anyone. In actual fact I need hugs. Lots of them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 07:16 PM

Re: Dear Mups. Please do not say ‘I told you so’!

If I am correct, both those problems can be caused by dirty conditions, dirty drinking water and eating/drinking contaminated food.

Did you see the conditions the litter were kept in?
Did you see Holly's mother?

If she had this when you brought her home, I can only lay the blame at the breeder's door.
No doubt the rest of the litter will be affected, and the mother too. Perhaps got the worms through suckling or pups eating each other's poo if they were not kept clean enough.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 07:31 PM

Oh dear, I am sorry Jazzi, both for you and Holly. If I am to be frankly honest, I would prefer to spend Christmas alone with ChoCho rather than send her anywhere, but I do understand your upset and disappointment.

I hope you manage to contact the people you bought her from and I hope that Holly is fit and well very soon.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 07:44 PM

Devastating news, Jazzi, I hope little Holly recovers quickly. Faced with this dilemma myself I would cancel the holiday and concentrate on Holly. She will need all the love and support you can give her.

Big hugs for both of you !
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 07:50 PM

Mups, the set up seemed okay, but then they were in a pen in the office, so may have lived in the house in another pen, because no food or drink was evident in this small pen! If they were living in that office, and if they pood, nobody would be there to clear it up. They also had other dogs in the house.

Loretta, I know you would rather be home yourself, but I was really looking forward to this trip. And since booking it, I learned that the extended family who normally invite me for Christmas are having severe problems and my sister said she wouldn’t want to go there ‘in that atmosphere’. So initially, it looked like I’d made a good decision booking Christmas away. Sis can be elsewhere for the day, to another daughter, unless she decides to have Christmas at her house, but it is unlikely.

I’m just gutted. For Holly. For me. And wondering if any others in the litter are suffering.

I have just given her another dose of Panacur, which she takes in a small amount of yogurt, but we will need more tomorrow. She is also two days away from finishing this course of antibiotics and I make sure they have all gone from her dog bowl in her feed. I will even spoon feed the rest to make sure, sometimes.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 07:51 PM

I'm sorry Jazzi, but I have to say I agree with clumsy and Tabby about cancelling the holiday.

In a way, it might have been wiser to get a pup after Christmas if you knew you wouldn't be around, but it's easy to say with hindsight.

No way am I saying what you should do, I can only say what I personally would do, and I would never leave a poorly pup - or adult even.
It's your decision entirely though.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

18-12-2017, 07:53 PM

She is responding well to treatment so far, Mups. I will see.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

18-12-2017, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
She is responding well to treatment so far, Mups. I will see.

Are they going to check her poo again after treatment has finished to see if she is clear?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 08:52 PM

Jazzi I am sorry to hear about Holly but it is good you have a diagnosis .

I don't want to give you a lecture but in your position I would cancel the holiday, sorry to say but it would be irresponsible for any kennel to take Holly when they have other dogs. Giardia is easily passed on to other dogs it faeces, water bowls, food dishes it can also contaminate soil, crates, kennels. Some strains can be passed on to humans particularity those with compromised immune systems.

Being with a puppy for the first few weeks after getting it is important for the bonding process, I would never leave a puppy except in extreme circumstances and certainly not one which was sick.

It's not all bad caring for your puppy now should pay dividend later as it learns to trust you.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 08:56 PM

This is very difficult and views vary,Why do some people dread staying home alone over Christmas when they are ,presumably , alone the rest of the time,its only two days ? I have one relative who recently lost herhusband,,and is putting her dog in kennels so she can go to friends for Christmas, and one friend refused to go and stay at ,her daughters because she wouldnt leave her cat or put him in a cattery,while another friend ,who is mad about her cat [ her baby ] yet is prepared to put him in a cattery so she can go to her sons for Christmas.It depends on how lonely /miserable you would be if you were at home alone over Christmas.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top