Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 08:12 PM

Let's hear it for the place you were born...

Why don't you tell us all about the town or city you were born in. It will be interesting to see who is a small town person or big city with all the lights...

Did you stay in the town you were born in? Are you still there? Did you move to a retirement community?

I was born in the Thousand Islands, in a small town called Gananoque.

In the summer our town was just boppin with tourists and the two army bases in Kingston (18 miles away). My mom wanted to make sure I didn't get mixed up with boys so she would send me out to her friend's farm....so that is what I did, but I loved the farm and the animals meant the world to me.

I was very active as a child. I went swimming all the time. I was an ice skater, tobaggon, Ballet, tap dancing. I did it all and really had fun.

We had a nice theater in town, a couple of great beaches...swimming lessons and competitions.

Here is link to my town of Gananoque/Thousand Islands, if anyone is interested.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Tourism-g...Vacations.html

My brothers drove these tour boats in the summer....

Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 10:16 PM

Re: Let's hear it for the place you were born...

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Why don't you tell us all about the town or city you were born in. It will be interesting to see who is a small town person or big city with all the lights...

Did you stay in the town you were born in? Are you still there? Did you move to a retirement community?
Hiya blueberry... I don't really want to say were I was born. I like to be incognito as much as I can on an open forum

But to answer a couple of your questions:

I don't really know anything about the town I was born in, I was too young.

I spent my first year in a big city hospital then moved back to the town we lived in, which was in the south of England. Then we moved up north when I was about 5 with dad's job. The Northerners are much better than the Southerners BTW - much more down to earth

I don't live in a retirement community. I don't think there are what you call retirement 'communities' here, more flat's for the retired.

I've lived in the rural countryside, which I loved, but now live in the suburbs.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 10:37 PM

I was born in a village in Derbyshire, most of my family still live there. It is on the edge of The Peak District National park and was beautiful but the area has been spoilt by over development .

I then lived and worked in Lancashire, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Dorset, Somerset then back to Worcestershire and have no intention of moving anywhere else

I have never lived in a town, I once spent a week in London and it nearly killed me being a country girl to my bones.

The house I live in now is a horrible 1970's box but in a really beautiful place in a tiny hamlet surrounded by meadows where sheep and horses graze. I love the peace and the solitude
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 10:39 PM

Thunder Bay, Ontario.....the frozen north on Lake Superior

and when it is 100 F degrees in the shade where I am now in Southern Ontario I long to go back for good.....maybe one day I will.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 10:58 PM

This is where I was born and lived until I was 11 years of age, then we moved...to Libya North Africa ( a long story)
This was a small mining community in South Wales, an area of great deprivation. (Although I wasn’t aware of it) If you have nothing, and your peers having nothing, what is there to miss?
We were surrounded by coal mines, steel works, churches, chapels and pubs. Our home was light by gas, food was cooked over an open coal fire, and the toilet was around the back. Bath night was Sunday in a big tin tub, I was the oldest of three so got to bathe first.
I must admit to having a happy childhood there though, summers were long and hot and winters always produced blankets of snow.
Over the following years travelling the world I grew to appreciate the gifts that life gave me. The place I was born in made me.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	567D32EF-C19F-4168-AF07-4FD80509A7DE.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	5113  
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Hiya blueberry... I don't really want to say were I was born. I like to be incognito as much as I can on an open forum

But to answer a couple of your questions:

I don't really know anything about the town I was born in, I was too young.

I spent my first year in a big city hospital then moved back to the town we lived in, which was in the south of England. Then we moved up north when I was about 5 with dad's job. The Northerners are much better than the Southerners BTW - much more down to earth

I don't live in a retirement community. I don't think there are what you call retirement 'communities' here, more flat's for the retired.

I've lived in the rural countryside, which I loved, but now live in the suburbs.
Pesta, thanks for this interesting post...I didn't know that there was flats for the retired. That sounds very nic.

When my close UK friend and I go out...if we meet someone from UK, she can always tell where there are from (north or south)...she will later tell me "he is from the north"....I guess she knows by the accent or maybe the area.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

07-02-2018, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I was born in a village in Derbyshire, most of my family still live there. It is on the edge of The Peak District National park and was beautiful but the area has been spoilt by over development .

I then lived and worked in Lancashire, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Dorset, Somerset then back to Worcestershire and have no intention of moving anywhere else

I have never lived in a town, I once spent a week in London and it nearly killed me being a country girl to my bones.

The house I live in now is a horrible 1970's box but in a really beautiful place in a tiny hamlet surrounded by meadows where sheep and horses graze. I love the peace and the solitude
Oh my gosh Meg, this last paragraph really got to me. It sounds just wonderful. I love peace and solitude. When I look out my back window, I see the forest and the animals. I love that. If I go to the front, I see the city streets. I am right on the edge.

I had to google Peak District National Park, and it is very interesting. I enjoyed seeing that.

Thanks for sharing Meg....
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

07-02-2018, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Adanac ->
Thunder Bay, Ontario.....the frozen north on Lake Superior

and when it is 100 F degrees in the shade where I am now in Southern Ontario I long to go back for good.....maybe one day I will.
Oh, I love Thunder Bay. Before I lived in London, Ontario (I lived on the Thames by the way), I toured Ontario to see where I would like to live. I have been a gypsy all my life and love to move from city to city. But now, I am settled for good as I am getting too old to move.

Anyway, what I was trying to say, but I got off track, haha....I toured the North because I love it up there and used to spend a lot of week-ends in the Bracebridge Area, and North Bay was one of the places I was considered moving to. It was the home of our Primier at the time, The Chopper...
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

07-02-2018, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
This is where I was born and lived until I was 11 years of age, then we moved...to Libya North Africa ( a long story)
This was a small mining community in South Wales, an area of great deprivation. (Although I wasn’t aware of it) If you have nothing, and your peers having nothing, what is there to miss?
We were surrounded by coal mines, steel works, churches, chapels and pubs. Our home was light by gas, food was cooked over an open coal fire, and the toilet was around the back. Bath night was Sunday in a big tin tub, I was the oldest of three so got to bathe first.
I must admit to having a happy childhood there though, summers were long and hot and winters always produced blankets of snow.
Over the following years travelling the world I grew to appreciate the gifts that life gave me. The place I was born in made me.
Rehab, this is an amazing post and story. The picture just blew me away. Sometimes, growing up like you did, is better than some others who had it so easy...

I'd love to hear the North Africa story sometime.

Oh, I remember when I lived on the farm, life was so simple and fun. We made our own fun. We had the "outhouse" at the back also. We had to go out there even at night when it was pitch black. We were not even afraid. We were so used to it.

Sunday night ... bath night, same as you. Big galvanized tub in front of the cook stove in the kitchen. hahahahah. 3 boys and me so I got to bath first.....

Like you, I had a happy childhood. Nowdays the kids have to have $350.00 toys or they are not satisfied or they need all the latest technology. We just needed a couple games and a football & doll. Life was simple and it was wonderful.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 11:50 PM

Life was simple and it was wonderful. indeed, it made us self reliant, I can’t remember ever being bored I didn’t have time for that nonsense

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top