Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2018, 10:48 AM

GP tomorrow.

At last i have an appointment with a GP tomorrow in the hope i can get some treatment for my hands which are continuing to deteriorate.

I was told it is Reynauds disease, but it could be secondary Reynauds or even Scleroderma, tests are needed.

I have suffered from the primary symptom in cold weather, bt lately my knuckle joints have stated clicking noisily,and sometimes i cant straighten my fingers without using my other hand.

Have done some research there may be a drug called Nifedipine, that might help, also the use of high-dose vitamins E and C, evening primrose oil, fish oils and ginger or Ginkgo biloba might also help.

I wish to go well armed with info as the time allowed to make a point is short.

Has anyone managed to find any relief from this condition?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2018, 11:39 AM

Re: GP tomorrow.

I can't offer you much help with your condition Nom, but I do wish you good luck with your appointment in the morning.
As you say, go well armed, say what is on your mind, and don't be fobbed off.

Let us know how you get on if you can.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2018, 12:02 PM

I can't help with your condition Nom but send you lots of good luck and best wishes and hope there is some medication or treatment out there that will help your condition.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2018, 12:14 PM

I hope you manage to get some help with the condition Nom
I have cold stiff hands and feet due to medication but am not complaining, it could be worse.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2018, 12:22 PM

Nom I would just mention to you GP that the sooner you get an accurate diagnosis, the sooner you will be able to treat it & possibly delay needing further care!

They will need to do a blood test to establish what it is, and if you don't get instant results from the test, you will need to go back for the results and to discuss your treatment. I would also mention that an early appointment will assist in you getting early care.

Scleroderma is the worst Rheumatoid illness so urgent care is essential!

Good luck and I hope they can offer something to help with whatever it is. Please let us know.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2018, 01:05 PM

My mum has this. She also had carpal tunnel surgery on one hand as a couple of her fingers are stiff from it now. I bought her some hand exercisers and they have helped her somewhat. They are those v shaped things you squeeze.

You might also benefit from massage and acupuncture. There was one study that said acupuncture helped and another that was inconclusive, but it can't do any harm. I don't know much about the meds as she is not taking them, but the exerciser and massage with arnica helped her.

https://www.physioroom.com/product/P...SABEgKzCfD_BwE
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2018, 02:55 PM

Good luck Nom!
I find telling the doc what treatment you'd like to try works better than them suggesting the usual remedies!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2018, 03:23 PM

Sorry can't help you Nom, but good luck and make sure you tell your GP everything and have everything written down in front of you.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2018, 07:57 PM

Good luck tomorrow Nom - will be thinking of you!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2018, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
At last i have an appointment with a GP tomorrow in the hope i can get some treatment for my hands which are continuing to deteriorate.

I was told it is Reynauds disease, but it could be secondary Reynauds or even Scleroderma, tests are needed.

I have suffered from the primary symptom in cold weather, bt lately my knuckle joints have stated clicking noisily,and sometimes i cant straighten my fingers without using my other hand.

Have done some research there may be a drug called Nifedipine, that might help, also the use of high-dose vitamins E and C, evening primrose oil, fish oils and ginger or Ginkgo biloba might also help.

I wish to go well armed with info as the time allowed to make a point is short.

Has anyone managed to find any relief from this condition?
Sorry Nom, I'm another who knows nothing about the disease.

Re not being able to straighten your fingers, I get trigger finger quite a lot, so appreciate a tiny bit what you're experiencing, although not the same thing.

I've put the bit in bold about the vitamins etc. Did you mean you were asking the GP about them? If you've heard they might help, I'd take them anyway - but that's me. They can only do you good

Good luck tomorrow petal. BTW, for a bloke with bad hands, you take brilliant pictures

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top