Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 09:34 AM

Re: A United Ireland ???

People in other countries do not understand the Irish situation, I remember being told off by a waitress in Florida that the English were terrible people for not allowing a United Ireland...I was a bit taken aback at her anger with me...I was on holiday though and not in the mood for debate so I let it go. It does show a lack of understanding though.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 09:36 AM

Surely, a result from a referendum of a United Ireland would be the worst thing imaginable ?
We see the problems a referendum has caused already, with those opposed to a democratic vote. Imagine Ireland with it's volatile capabilities.
We should have nothing to do with that idea.
They'd have another 30 yrs of war, and who would step in to help them ?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
People in other countries do not understand the Irish situation, I remember being told off by a waitress in Florida that the English were terrible people for not allowing a United Ireland...I was a bit taken aback at her anger with me...I was on holiday though and not in the mood for debate so I let it go. It does show a lack of understanding though.
I don't think many of us truly understand Ireland. We know what we hear but it's complicated , in my opinion. Why so many deaths over the years ? They were killing their own neighbours, for what ? It was blamed on religion, blamed on north and south, blamed on all sorts until it got so confusing ... and that still applies .
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Surely, a result from a referendum of a United Ireland would be the worst thing imaginable ?
We see the problems a referendum has caused already, with those opposed to a democratic vote. Imagine Ireland with it's volatile capabilities.
We should have nothing to do with that idea.
They'd have another 30 yrs of war, and who would step in to help them ?

The 'troubles' in Ireland have persisted since 1921 following the chaos that prat churchill caused after the first referendum. Now there is a distinct possibility of correcting that chaos with a new referendum and re-uniting Ireland permanently.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

I don't think many of us truly understand Ireland. We know what we hear but it's complicated , in my opinion. Why so many deaths over the years ? They were killing their own neighbours, for what ? It was blamed on religion, blamed on north and south, blamed on all sorts until it got so confusing ... and that still applies .
Yes...it's become more than religion but maybe the EU situation could unite them....well unite enough of them to reconsider their position.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

I would suggest that anyone wanting to expound an opinion on N I and unification should go and spend some time there first.

I'm sure the glib demands to reunite the island would not trip so easily off the tongue afterwards.

I hate that we've all become instant experts on every subject under the sun based on our Google/social media education!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

09-06-2018, 09:49 AM

Well there must be a revolution waiting in the wings. Have you seen the comments written under the Dubliner's patriotic video you posted.

Messages from the PKK in support.

Here's the first one on the list, posted from 3 yrs ago.

John Shsusb3 years ago

'You may kill the revolutionary but never the revolution'
Every generation will bring unrest to the north until our day comes.
Im 16 and if ever Ireland wants my aid , il hold a Fenian gun.

skrap killa1 year ago

Saluting IRA from PKK!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
I would suggest that anyone wanting to expound an opinion on N I and unification should go and spend some time there first.

I'm sure the glib demands to reunite the island would not trip so easily off the tongue afterwards.

I hate that we've all become instant experts on every subject under the sun based on our Google/social media education!

Have been there on many occasions in the past 10 years.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire

09-06-2018, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->

I don't profess to be an expert on anything Moscow but this is a forum we are here to express opinion....I've given you mine but it's not set in concrete I'm willing to listen to alternate opinions...it would be daft to join here if I didn't wouldn't it?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Have been there on many occasions in the past 10 years.
Visiting and living here are two totally different things

NI is still divided. The peace wall had got higher and taller since the Good Friday agreement

I live in the country so it’s not so marked but the towns and villages still are marked by Catholic and Protestant emblems and there are still places where you can’t live depending on which side you are from

Villages which are mixed have two schools and pubs , one for each side

Protection money is still paid

No one wants to go back to the days of the troubles but don’t ever be fooled into thinking tensions aren’t running high because they are always just bubbling away under the surface

If you want to see how it really is , watch the local news here. Barely any of the shootings, burning outs, knee cappings, which happen here daily are reported on the main news

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top