Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2018, 08:05 PM

Re: Corbyn Slaughtered By His Own MPs

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
I would also like the UK to adopt the Swiss System of Demoracy, which Referendums all the time on important things.

If we did that, we, the voters decide, no need to choose between May and Corbyn.
A system of legally binding referenda would be ideal and would represent true democracy: government by the people.

I could live with that.

Unfortunately, I cannot for one moment imagine our leaders ever agreeing to such a thing.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2018, 09:02 PM

There are many different forms of Brexit.
Fundamentally only one, which is to absolutely and clearly leave the EU and the ECJ and no longer be bound by any of its terms, agreements and laws.

Everything else is subsidiary to this. Everything else should be managed around that core separation rather than the core separation being compromised.

I would also like the UK to adopt the Swiss System of Demoracy, which Referendums all the time on important things.
In principle I agree however for that to work and be in any sense fair, there HAS to be free and open control of media which there currently isn't. Referendums are utterly pointless is a sole controlling party is under control of the media and can thus shape and steer the electorates views on key issues any way they want.

There need to be specific TV channels for any group or party to broadcast on and we can not allow cost to dictate that otherwise it's just the guy with all the money that rules the media which is what we have now with Murdock & co.

Key example. If we had a referendum on whether we should keep or abolish the flu vaccination the result would be a foregone conclusion. They would keep it. All of the media coverage would support the "Keep It" camp because the flu vaccines are mega business profits for large Pharma corporations. We simply wouldn't get the truth via the media and that's a referendum killer.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2018, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Fundamentally only one, which is to absolutely and clearly leave the EU and the ECJ and no longer be bound by any of its terms, agreements and laws.

Everything else is subsidiary to this. Everything else should be managed around that core separation rather than the core separation being compromised.
How many different versions of Brexit were mentioned in the referendum statement?

Originally Posted by Realist ->
In principle I agree however for that to work and be in any sense fair, there HAS to be free and open control of media which there currently isn't. Referendums are utterly pointless is a sole controlling party is under control of the media and can thus shape and steer the electorates views on key issues any way they want.

There need to be specific TV channels for any group or party to broadcast on and we can not allow cost to dictate that otherwise it's just the guy with all the money that rules the media which is what we have now with Murdock & co.

Key example. If we had a referendum on whether we should keep or abolish the flu vaccination the result would be a foregone conclusion. They would keep it. All of the media coverage would support the "Keep It" camp because the flu vaccines are mega business profits for large Pharma corporations. We simply wouldn't get the truth via the media and that's a referendum killer.
I can see the sense in that. I wonder how the Swiss model is run.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top