Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 05:04 PM

Re: Sheer Madness!

Just glad I am going to Gibraltar.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
They will simply use Brexit as an excuse to increase prices for British tourists.
No people like you do, project fear peddlers.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Who cares, I certainly don't.

I’m with you tbh. Never would I do an all inclusive. Might as well sat at home

I like an apartment with freedom and room to move and choose what and where we eat
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
OK I will refrain from mention the "B" word forthwith in this thread!

It may be a savvy move by Spain to clean up its act on binge drinking and cheap holidays and move towards more exclusive resorts that attract a more international mix of tourists who are prepared to spend far more on local businesses.

I've never been to Benidorm in mainland Spain, but we have been to tenerife a few times and some parts of Costa Adeje have become like Blackpool by the med. You go up the coast a little and it's totally different and saturated with designer shops, filled with mainland European tourists. A few years ago we went to Cadiz and visited Seville and a couple of other towns. It was very much authentically Spanish. Also going to La Gomera island is a totally different experience from Tenerife. So perhaps they are planning to rebrand the whole Spanish holiday experience?

Hasn't Portugal managed to pull this off with its exclusive resorts and golf courses? Perhaps they are following the example there.

Any move to alienate the UK tourists is a big mistake. Only Germany spends more on tourism than the UK ( within the EU ).
UK spends about 50% more than France, with most other mainland European countries spending significantly less.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 12:30 PM

I just don’t understand the anti-tourist marches and demonstrations taking place over there.

Okay, I understand if they want to stop the boozy, pub-crawling , non-stop partying by large groups of youngsters, who bring shame to this country when they are so drunk, anything goes and they act in a way they wouldn’t dream of acting back home.
The Spanish authorities have made a good start by ensuring the clubs shorten their opening hours.
They have at last also made efforts to deal with the dozens of muggings that have been occurring on a regular basis by female illegal immigrants (run by traffickers) against those youngsters staggering back to their hotels and apartments, too drunk to do anything about it.

But this sudden venom aimed at all tourists is a new one! Double tourist tax, a vendetta against Cruise Liners at their ports, doing away with All-inclusive alcoholic drinks, tourist buses being egged and flares set ofF in Palma, Placard waving mobs with flares invading the beaches telling the tourists to go home!

Are they mad? They are committing suicide with their economy. As I said earlier, surely no-one is going to return to where they are treated so badly. The groups causing these marches and disruptions say they are not being "anti-tourism" but "excess-tourism"!

Well, all I can say to that is - The British tourist is very canny. They will weigh things up and if this action carries on, there will be only one loser, THE SPANISH!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 12:51 PM

I'm probably one of the few Brits who has never been on holiday in Spain. As a tourist destination it has absolutely no appeal for me. It fact, it's the absolute antithesis for me.

I have been there quite a few times on business and travelled the country from San Sebastian to Huelva. There are some beautiful places. But sharing a beach with 10,000 other tourists is not my idea of fun.

So the new rules won't have much impact on me.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I just don’t understand the anti-tourist marches and demonstrations taking place over there.

Okay, I understand if they want to stop the boozy, pub-crawling , non-stop partying by large groups of youngsters, who bring shame to this country when they are so drunk, anything goes and they act in a way they wouldn’t dream of acting back home.
The Spanish authorities have made a good start by ensuring the clubs shorten their opening hours.
They have at last also made efforts to deal with the dozens of muggings that have been occurring on a regular basis by female illegal immigrants (run by traffickers) against those youngsters staggering back to their hotels and apartments, too drunk to do anything about it.

But this sudden venom aimed at all tourists is a new one! Double tourist tax, a vendetta against Cruise Liners at their ports, doing away with All-inclusive alcoholic drinks, tourist buses being egged and flares set ofF in Palma, Placard waving mobs with flares invading the beaches telling the tourists to go home!

Are they mad? They are committing suicide with their economy. As I said earlier, surely no-one is going to return to where they are treated so badly. The groups causing these marches and disruptions say they are not being "anti-tourism" but "excess-tourism"!

Well, all I can say to that is - The British tourist is very canny. They will weigh things up and if this action carries on, there will be only one loser, THE SPANISH!
You"ve nailed it , they just crazy, not that I go to Spain but there are lots that do. IMO they will be casting their net further . Silly Spanish.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 01:12 PM

Perhaps if some British behaved themselves these things wouldn't happen
They make it bad for everyone, I feel sorry for the locals when they get drunken people behaving badly in their resorts, even if they do bring in money.
Perhaps they could work on making resorts more family friendly.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Any move to alienate the UK tourists is a big mistake. Only Germany spends more on tourism than the UK ( within the EU ).
UK spends about 50% more than France, with most other mainland European countries spending significantly less.
Not if the boozy culture is putting off tourists who could be more lucrative to the local economy. I stayed in a very nice hotel in Tenerife where some guests were on an all inclusive package. I witnessed some very rude behaviour towards the staff when they thought they were not getting what they were entitled to in their package. Perhaps they have decided they want people who better appreciate their staff and their services.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

Are there any press reports on this? I haven't seen anything about throwing tourists off beaches.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top