Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2014, 09:46 PM

Re: Statins

Dumped mine years ago, along with all the other meds. Will never take another Statin,dont trust the NHS or the Pharmaceutical companies anymore.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2014, 10:12 PM

Took statins, every kind and they all gave me terrible muscle pains. Now I've got Cholestagel which binds bile acids it's supposed to be for high cholesterol, which I don't have, but it's the only thing available for bile salts malabsorbtion. It's not a statin. I've been living on porridge (lowered cholesterol a treat!) for months so I hope it works. First sign of side effects, it goes in the doop bin!
david
Hervey Bay Australia
david is male  david has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2014, 10:42 PM

Instead of just 'binning' your medication, if you had gone back to your GP and reported the side effects you were experiencing, you would have been prescribed an alternative.

After all said and done that's what Doctors do. Keep prescribing more and more pills. Not sure if they do you any good, BUT helps his bank account grow.

I never take Prescribed medication, BUT All of my life as I can remember do
use Aloe Vera.
I pick the leaves and rub it all over my body.
And make banana smoothies with the gel part.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2014, 10:46 PM

Aloe Vera is very good! My dog was on steroids for years for "nibbling itch" which caused him to keep biting his tail until it bled, I tried Aloe Vera on it, never had it since!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2014, 10:49 PM

[QUOTE=orangutan;439914]I have no intention of taking a statin unless I really feel I have to. I'm deeply suspicious of this plan as being profit related more than health related.[/QUOTE]

That same thought crossed my mind too Ania.
It puts me in mind of this current Tamiflu scandal. All the millions of pounds spent on that and now they are saying its no different to Paracetamol.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2014, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by david ->
Instead of just 'binning' your medication, if you had gone back to your GP and reported the side effects you were experiencing, you would have been prescribed an alternative.

After all said and done that's what Doctors do. Keep prescribing more and more pills. Not sure if they do you any good, BUT helps his bank account grow.

I never take Prescribed medication, BUT All of my life as I can remember do
use Aloe Vera.

I pick the leaves and rub it all over my body.
And make banana smoothies with the gel part.

I have used Aloe Vera for several years now too David. I don't do quite the same as you though, I drink it every day instead. I have some plants indoors to use the leaves when I suffer every year with bad insect bites too, and it helps enormously. I also put it on my dogs paws when she's hopping about after treading in nettles!

Why on earth do you rub it over your body if there are no stings/bites/burns etc to treat?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2014, 11:12 PM

There was a very interesting item on BBC2 about statins where two 'experts' gave opposing views see below ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01d...lditakestatins

Both agree that if you have had a heart attack already, then statins are important to help reduce your risk of having another.
This would probably be my course of action..
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 02:11 AM

I don't think you should just generalise about doctors or medications. It's different for everyone. I've been taking statins for years with no side effects and my woman GP is a very thoughtful person who doesn't over prescribe and always suggests alternatives if she thinks they might work better than medication.

I asked her about statins several years ago and her considered reply was that the benefits outweigh the possible side effects and that from her reading she believed that some people are genetically disposed to the side effects and should be taken off them but if you're not they are of great benefit.

I don't believe all doctors are "quacks" or out to fool you. Most of the research suggests that about 18% have side effects so there are lots of people who don't.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 09:34 AM

I don't take Statins and never will do again. In fact, after being asked three times at my Doctors over a few years to take them, I told her to put on my
notes never to ask me to take them anymore. I was fed up of saying NO
I know all of the deaths in my family as I do ancestry and no one that
I see has died from high Cholesterol.
I did take one Statin about 6 years ago as I was told they were trying to get everyone over 50 on them. Seeing I was over 60 at the time I thought without reading about them I would try. I had such adverse side effects
from just one tablet I swore then I would never take another. I would
take my chances in life without them.
I have also put on my notes I don't want the jab for pneumonia which is supposed to stop you ever getting it. Side effects on that jab can also be the muscle cramp and pain like the statins. My one Statin attacked my throat and I thought it was closing and when I woke up in the morning my right arm was numb with pins and needles and I thought I had had a stroke. To me you take your chance on life and how long do these people want you to live. In my mind, you die when your are ready to go no matter what tablets you have taken. I believe in fate not tablets.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
I don't think you should just generalise about doctors or medications. It's different for everyone. I've been taking statins for years with no side effects and my woman GP is a very thoughtful person who doesn't over prescribe and always suggests alternatives if she thinks they might work better than medication.

I asked her about statins several years ago and her considered reply was that the benefits outweigh the possible side effects and that from her reading she believed that some people are genetically disposed to the side effects and should be taken off them but if you're not they are of great benefit.

I don't believe all doctors are "quacks" or out to fool you. Most of the research suggests that about 18% have side effects so there are lots of people who don't.
Good post jaywalker.

The millions who take statins with no problem whatsoever are disregarded.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top