Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 10:56 PM

Re: Is The RSPCA Still A Worthy Charity?

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
In 2013 the RSPCA revealed that its chief executive, Gavin Grant, is paid £160,000 a year,
Oh goodness me Robert - say no more!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 12:28 PM

And other smaller charities like the one I help with, income from donations £10,434 last year expenditure £20,000 (We all pitch in as best we can to make up the short fall). Rehomed 700 dogs, PTS 4 who were sadly too ill to help, and have 17 permanent fosters who are due to behavioural problems unable to be rehomed.

We make a smaller dent in the numbers but looking at our numbers the RSPCA could do better with the vast fortune they take in.

No one even the lady who runs our rescue takes a penny from it, only people paid for their time is the vet and he works on "mates rates" for us doing neuters for £50 etc
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

No one even the lady who runs our rescue takes a penny from it, only people paid for their time is the vet and he works on "mates rates" for us doing neuters for £50 etc
Same with us Julie - we have no paid staff, no premises, no kennels. Everyone is a volunteer and most don't even claim legitimate expenses (eg when transporting dogs long distances). Wish we had your vet though - we pay anywhere between £100 and £200 for neutering (even with a welfare discount!).
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 01:17 PM

Hats off to these smaller charities - grand work they do .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Same with us Julie - we have no paid staff, no premises, no kennels. Everyone is a volunteer and most don't even claim legitimate expenses (eg when transporting dogs long distances). Wish we had your vet though - we pay anywhere between £100 and £200 for neutering (even with a welfare discount!).
We know how lucky we are with our vet and sadly it's who you know that makes the difference, he is the son in law of one of our fosterers, so does very good rates indeed.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 02:49 PM

Our dog Dora comes from a small Surrey rescue - we help at fundraising events etc. Luckily for Dora, if anything happened to me or OH, she would go back to them to be rehomed. But I worry about Monty (dog) and Kizzy and Pip (cats). All are young and fit atm. I have met nice people from the Cinnamon Trust, so I'll explore that route. Thanks for flagging them.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's excellent Twizard, you are a very kind lady, doing good in such a practical way is brilliant.
I know many neglected dogs in rescues have such severe mange and hair loss, the coats must be a godsend till their fur grows back.
Where do you get the knitting patterns from?
I got a book from the library and copied out the quickest, easiest pattern. I add little bits & bobs to them & use up odd bits of wool to make them stripey! I like the fact that the Dogs Trust give them to homeless people who often have dogs with them on the streets for company. I think the book was Knitting For Dogs. I'll put some pics on my profile.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 11:12 PM

Thanks Twizard, that's interesting.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 06:33 PM

The RSPCA collect nearly a million animals each year, without them who else would do it?
Give them a break, they are doing a great job for animals.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 06:56 PM

There has been a lot of bad press concerning the RSPCA over the years with animals destroyed for non medical reasons.

I had a bad experience with them 6 or 7 years ago when I took a heavily pregnant stray cat to them as I couldn't have it in my house due to my own cat being nervous. When I handed her over, I also donated food and blankets at the same time. I was told she would be cared for and when the kittens were born they would be rehomed, the mother spayed and released. I phoned on the second day to see if she had settled and had her kittens and was told that the kittens had been 'taken away' (surgically) from her and the mother put to sleep. I have never donated to them since

Members on our sister forum Catsey have also told of their bad experiences with RSPCA so it does appear to be a common practice.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top