Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA
lowfiron is male  lowfiron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2013, 02:09 AM

I Put Down Ray

The day before yesterday. He was my best buddy. He was a border collie cattle dog, not a 'mix,' a BC that was bred for cattle. But he flunked somehow and I rescued him. Some lady in Ridgecrest was fostering him and a woman named Billie put me in touch with her, the Ridgecrest lady. He was roughly two when I got him. He had a brother up for adoption. My wife wanted another dog but she did not want Ray's brother. He was a good dog and I'm sure he was adopted.
So that was in 2000 so Ray was around 14-15 yrs. old. He had masses in his lungs and his spleen felt funny. He was hacking constantly and in the last days he was not eating and moving around very little. My vet said if he was human he would be in ICU. She said it was likely cancer. So it was time. I had her give him the shot in my truck because he loved to be in the truck with me. We went to the beach to play Frisbee all the time so truck= beach- Frisbee.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2013, 02:28 AM

Re: I Put Down Ray

I did reply to this earlier Ron but the forum went down for maintenance and my reply was lost.

I do feel for you. You must have loved your pal very much indeed and, although I've never kept a dog, I do know what it's like to lose a pet you adore.

My brother has a border collie and Sam is the only dog I trust because I'm generally scared of dogs.

It's not easy to get over the loss of a pet, but as long as you remember him and have fond memories, he'll always be with you.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2013, 07:28 AM

Heartbreaking to lose a pet. A lovely picture.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2013, 08:05 AM

They certainly leave pawprints on your heart ! He looks like a lovely dog, Lofiron, I bet you had a lot of fun together.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2013, 09:59 AM

Always so sad to lose your friends. Its heart breaking when that time comes so I hope you feel OK. It takes time like anything else.
At least you loved him and looked after him and I am sure he
will always be in your heart. Hope you feel better soon.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2013, 11:13 AM

So sorry Ron. Sounds like you had a really good time with Ray and you were chums. Once the pain eases, I'm sure you've got loads of happy memories of him and you'll be able to remember him with a smile.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2013, 11:23 AM

Thinking of you Ron. I know it's heartbreaking to lose a pet - have been through it myself 3 times now and know how it feels. They are part of the family and it takes time to get over it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2013, 11:59 AM

So very sorry Ron, us animal lovers have a good idea what you're going through. I suppose at least he died knowing he was loved, and not like some of the poor neglected souls. I hope time makes it a bit easier for you.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2013, 12:10 PM

Whenever I hear of someone's beloved dogfriend passing away I always think of this Rudyard Kipling poem "the Power of the Dog" and it always makes me feel emotional as I've had to 'do the deed' on a few occasions and each time I tell myself it's the last but it never is of course ...there's always another needs rescuing and shown that there's love in the world ..
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2013, 12:28 PM

Nothing really prepares you for losing a beloved dog. So sorry for your loss. I say constantly - we give them a good life AND a good death. Sounds like that's been your motto too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top