Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 05:12 PM

Ten year Census to be axed

The Govt is expected to make an announcement soon, axing this. They protest it is nothing about hiding immigration figures, but cynics say otherwise.

The 2011 one cost £500mn. I actually helped on this and enjoyed my time, even though the recruitment process was quite rigorous

I've just spent awhile reading comments on Mail on Line, and quite honestly agree with most of them.

One of the points raised is the problems faced by future genealogists: how fantastic it is searching past Censuses and looking at ancestors and how they lived. What will happen when this information is no longer readily available?

I say, keep it. Thoughts/comments?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 05:22 PM

Re: Ten year Census to be axed

Not sure how I feel on this one - anything that saves money is good so maybe we can get by without it, like to hear what others think though ....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 05:53 PM

May be useful, not as far as researching religion though I seem to remember several Jedi Knights!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Keep it if possible. The census provides a unique insight into the way we live, an invaluable resource for future generations.
Lets get rid of a few MPs and keep the census .
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
The Govt is expected to make an announcement soon, axing this. They protest it is nothing about hiding immigration figures, but cynics say otherwise.

The 2011 one cost £500mn. I actually helped on this and enjoyed my time, even though the recruitment process was quite rigorous

I've just spent awhile reading comments on Mail on Line, and quite honestly agree with most of them.

One of the points raised is the problems faced by future genealogists: how fantastic it is searching past Censuses and looking at ancestors and how they lived. What will happen when this information is no longer readily available?

If it is true then it's outrageous. GEnealogy is one of the most popular pastimes in GB today. To deny future generations of this precious amenity is short sighted, mean spirited & not expensive compared to the colossal folly of this and the last government . By this I mean the misinformation, disinformation, corruption, apathy, self interest Mps of all flavours have allowed to happen to this once proud nation
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 06:20 PM

I think census is a waste of money, why I hear you ask, well how do we know that the information put on the forms is accurate and honest?
I doubt it myself!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 08:11 PM

I argued on the site that does the Govt believe it will still be in power in 2021, ready for the next Census? Do they really think they will be voted in again and again?

Let's leave the decision for the Govt of the time, is what I say.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Keep it if possible. The census provides a unique insight into the way we live, an invaluable resource for future generations.
Lets get rid of a few MPs and keep the census .
I agree Meg, I think it's essential to keep tabs on the way that the population is developing. I too went pounding the streets in the last but one census Jazzi.......it was eye-opening to see the way some people lived.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 08:25 PM

The census isn't run for the benefit of genealogists unfortunately, and some peoples input on the forms might not be accurate.
£500m is a lot of money, which could be put to better use.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

03-09-2013, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I agree Meg, I think it's essential to keep tabs on the way that the population is developing. I too went pounding the streets in the last but one census Jazzi.......it was eye-opening to see the way some people lived.
It certainly was!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top