Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2017, 10:42 PM

Plant pests

So far this year, my lovely roses have had greenfly, whitefly, some Vine Weevals, and now some are starting the dreaded Black Spot already.
I feed, water, prune and take a lot of care with them, so it can get a little disheartening sometimes.

I wondered if it has anything to do with different areas, especially with Black Spot.
Anyone else got any probs yet?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2017, 10:54 PM

Re: Plant pests

I've had a bit of black spot, treated it with spray, mostly I had black fly on my viburnum. My Kilmarnock Willow has died, I don't know what from, the pussy willows started to form then nothing.
I think I'll grow something over it!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2017, 11:00 PM

That's a shame about your Kilmarnock Willow Tess, they are nice.
I have got a small-ish one which is just beginning to turn the pretty salmon colour now. I draped some fleece over it during those late frosts we had and it looks good (so far).

I find my Philadelphus gets loads of black fly like your Viburnum does.
I worry about spraying a bit, because of the dogs. I suppose it would be safer last thing in the evening when they are not messing about outside.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2017, 11:01 PM

Caught some vine weevil on the lilies and green fly on the roses, I tend to blast them with soapy water, but the still come back
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

29-05-2017, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Caught some vine weevil on the lilies and green fly on the roses, I tend to blast them with soapy water, but the still come back

Yes, I have tried the soapy water too, it does help doesn't it.
Won't touch the Vine Weevals though, surely. Little blighters hatch underground.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2017, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's a shame about your Kilmarnock Willow Tess, they are nice.
I have got a small-ish one which is just beginning to turn the pretty salmon colour now. I draped some fleece over it during those late frosts we had and it looks good (so far).

I find my Philadelphus gets loads of black fly like your Viburnum does.
I worry about spraying a bit, because of the dogs. I suppose it would be safer last thing in the evening when they are not messing about outside.
Luckily all the black fly was at the top and it's about 6' tall. If you're worried use washing up liquid in water as Rehab suggests.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

29-05-2017, 11:06 PM

Sorry cross posted! Damn your speedy digits!
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 10:01 AM

We are too suffering from greenfly, I do the same as the others and use soapy water.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

30-05-2017, 10:11 AM

For anyone not sure of the soap dilution to use, it's about 1 teasp (5 ml) per pint of water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6EIdFfhrFA
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 11:29 AM

The three David Austin roses I planted are all doing well and just started to flower. They are disease resistant and so far have shown no signs of any black spot. There have been some green fly and white fly but a quick spray of Roseclear has done the job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top