Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Vicki
Croydon, Surrey
Vicki is female 

10-08-2009, 09:26 PM

Assisted suicide

Is this something you would consider, if your quality of life was that poor, or the prognosis following an illness was dire?
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 09:36 PM

Re: Assisted suicide

Yes but what I really fear is senility - and you can't think to ask for the special pills to help you out of the awful situation when you don't really know you're in one, you're just frightened and confused.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 09:38 PM

I would definitely consider it, if I was a burden to others and could not look after myself..........
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 12:27 AM

If I was in severe pain I think I would :/
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 03:02 AM

Hard to say. I was raised Catholic, and suicide is a mortal sin. But if I was in intractable pain ....?????
Vicki
Croydon, Surrey
Vicki is female 

11-08-2009, 07:35 AM

Did anyone watch the documentary a few months ago on the husband who went down this route, his wife beside him, holding his hand as he went? It was rivetting, and not something I'll forget easily.

I do think the Dignitas apartment is a tad seedy.......
Jan
Scotland
Jan is female  Jan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Yes but what I really fear is senility - and you can't think to ask for the special pills to help you out of the awful situation when you don't really know you're in one, you're just frightened and confused.
I agree with you there. Knowing you're losing your wits and not being able to do anything about it is an awful position to be in. Some people may be 'happy in their own little world' but it doesn't work like that for everyone.

I also dread ending up in hospital and being forced to keep going when there's no hope of recovery. At least vets can give their patients a decent end.
rune
New Member!
rune is female 

11-08-2009, 08:33 AM

I think i might.

Really not sure

I know my dad would not have wanted to live the last 12 years of his life as he did. He had Korsekovs syndrome brought on by drinking. He remembered nothing for longer then a few seconds, he had asked me a long tme ago to pull the plug if he was in a state---but I couldn't help him when it did happen.

In the end I did say to the doctor not to treat him when a crisis came---it was the hardest thing I have ever said,even knowing that he would have wanted it and it was the right thing to do. The nurse at the home was not happy with me but he died the next day.

rune
Jackie
UK
Jackie is female  Jackie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 09:39 AM

Not sure about it really, who knows if you are in that situation, you may feel differently.

But I do feel for those who wish to take the road, they should be allowed, and anyone helping them, should be free from prosecution .
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 05:27 PM

I agree. I think that to be able to die with dignity is a wonderful thing. I too fear senility above almost anything else. I'd prefer just to go to sleep and not wake up ..... but I am told that is a rare thing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top