Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2017, 11:31 PM

Re: Assisted suicide

If I was in a situation where I could not survive without artificial support and was unable to have any independence or control over what happens to me and it was a degenerative condition, then I'd definitely rather die via a humane means. This would be whether I am in pain or just helplessly dependent. They treat humans worse than animals in this respect. I've watched people die in agony, gasping for breath for weeks, crying out in pain. It's awful to watch and awful to go through.

In olden days such people would have died in a couple of days, so I don't buy the religious morality on this topic.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2017, 07:09 AM

I think most people would opt not to die helpless and in terrible pain, or brain damaged if they had a choice. Sadly, once you get to that stage it isn't always possible to find people willing or financially able to help you with assisted suicide. If you can't make the necessary arrangements for yourself, and your family member (assuming you have one) can't or won't, what do you do?

I don't believe that life at any price is precious and that we should struggle on in suffering if our wish is to put an end to it.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2017, 07:14 AM

In my advance directive its all very well laid out but the lawyer added a word of caution.

Even though euthansia is legal in NL and we have legal paperwork it does not give a 100% guarentee that our wishes will be carried out.

If the doctors treating us at the time consider there is a chance of a decent recovery or if it is against their principles or if one of our children were to disagree with the decision then the advance directive would be stopped.

It seems that old saying of 'its my life' only counts as long as you have the power in your own hands
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2017, 07:42 PM

Yes if I was in constant pain which could not be relieved,but not sure if Id have the courage or not,Id be afraid that it didnt work properly and Id be left worse off

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top