Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2016, 01:40 PM

Shingles

I have shingles without the rash, but told it might come out later, I have had them before.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2016, 01:46 PM

Re: Shingles

Poor you
Is horrible - wish I had a magic cure for you ..............
islandman
Dorset UK
islandman is male  islandman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2016, 02:09 PM

Some years ago, my wife developed shingles but it wasn't diagnosed early enough. Unusally it was on the side of her face and it spread to her inner ear. She was admitted to hospital.

Before I was allowed in one day, I was taken aside and told to prepare myself. She looked as if she had had a stroke, or bells palsy. Her face was dropped on one side and distorted. It seems she had been seen and photographed due to the severity.

The outcome was that on discharge, her face was lop-sided and her eye would not close. This meant the eye would dry out so drops and creams had to be introduced to her eye throughout the day. At night I had to put a gel in it, then tape her eye shut till morning, otherwise it would dry and ulcerate. This procedure continued for months. Even now she has to use drops etc and her face, although much improved, does look slightly askew.

Because the infection travelled INTO her ear, if affected her labyrinth. Now she hears distorted sound. Multiple sounds, crowds, all create major issues.

Then we have the thing which is worse. Loss of balance. The labyrinth was affected, that caused the balance issue. At first she would sit all day and on my return from work, I would take her out for a short walk. She now needs to use a threewheeled mobility walker and with that, can walk miles, but without it, six steps and she would be on the ground. Furniture is placed in such a way that it's used to grab. In the garden, I have stakes all all the path and ropes so at least she can use the garden.

The total effect of this, is that she was declared disabled and paperworks states "unfortunately this lady will never improve".

After looking after for a year, I felt I should work part time so I could give her better attention and just as soon as this commenced, I had a heart attack.

Even after all this time, visual disturbances cause problems. The slightest thing, such as water moving either on the TV or washing up bowl, flickering lights on TV all lead to violent giddiness and vomiting.

Yes we have emergency medication and yes, it is going to be quite a challenge to fly to Cyprus to visit our Military daughter, but we're going to try. (and I have to hope my failing kidney doesn't play up either).

Anyway, a somewhat disturbing personal account that is made, to alert anyone that thinks to them-self, "should I see the Dr,?" if they too feel they might have shingles.

I hope this hasn't come across as a me,me,me post and that hopefully know-one will think I have highjacked Wrinkly's post.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2016, 04:28 PM

A few years ago my medical centre offered me the chance to have a jab against shingles and I turned it down. I wish I had had it after reading your experience.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2016, 04:33 PM

I've had the blasted things three time's,they come out in the same place on my forehead above my left eye,first time the usual thing didn't bother with a doctor,it started to spread towards my eye when I stared getting stabbing pains in the eye I went and saw him,just in time its seems,luckily no lasting damage was done,moral of the story if you suspects shingles get along to the doctors.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2016, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by islandman ->
Some years ago, my wife developed shingles but it wasn't diagnosed early enough. Unusally it was on the side of her face and it spread to her inner ear. She was admitted to hospital.

Before I was allowed in one day, I was taken aside and told to prepare myself. She looked as if she had had a stroke, or bells palsy. Her face was dropped on one side and distorted. It seems she had been seen and photographed due to the severity.

The outcome was that on discharge, her face was lop-sided and her eye would not close. This meant the eye would dry out so drops and creams had to be introduced to her eye throughout the day. At night I had to put a gel in it, then tape her eye shut till morning, otherwise it would dry and ulcerate. This procedure continued for months. Even now she has to use drops etc and her face, although much improved, does look slightly askew.

Because the infection travelled INTO her ear, if affected her labyrinth. Now she hears distorted sound. Multiple sounds, crowds, all create major issues.

Then we have the thing which is worse. Loss of balance. The labyrinth was affected, that caused the balance issue. At first she would sit all day and on my return from work, I would take her out for a short walk. She now needs to use a threewheeled mobility walker and with that, can walk miles, but without it, six steps and she would be on the ground. Furniture is placed in such a way that it's used to grab. In the garden, I have stakes all all the path and ropes so at least she can use the garden.

The total effect of this, is that she was declared disabled and paperworks states "unfortunately this lady will never improve".

After looking after for a year, I felt I should work part time so I could give her better attention and just as soon as this commenced, I had a heart attack.

Even after all this time, visual disturbances cause problems. The slightest thing, such as water moving either on the TV or washing up bowl, flickering lights on TV all lead to violent giddiness and vomiting.
Yes we have emergency medication and yes, it is going to be quite a challenge to fly to Cyprus to visit our Military daughter, but we're going to try. (and I have to hope my failing kidney doesn't play up either).

Anyway, a somewhat disturbing personal account that is made, to alert anyone that thinks to them-self, "should I see the Dr,?" if they too feel they might have shingles.

I hope this hasn't come across as a me,me,me post and that hopefully know-one will think I have highjacked Wrinkly's post.
Sympathise with your poor wife and yourself - I am in the same boat - oh don't mention that word Patsy !
Its an awful condition, as the slightest thing can bring on an attack
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2016, 05:28 PM

I've just got over them, but still have a rash. I hope i don't get them again there very painful.

Take care Wrinkly.
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia
tootsweet is female  tootsweet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2016, 11:48 PM

I wonder if Shingles is caused from stress, anybody knows?
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by tootsweet ->
I wonder if Shingles is caused from stress, anybody knows?
Stress doesn't technically cause shingles, but it can cause the immune system to weaken and a weakened immune system can put you at risk of shingles as with any other virus.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 09:56 AM

Tony had it on one side of his face last year. it was awful.
Lately he's been complaining of pain in his waist area and I was wondering if it might be shingles trying to come back....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top