Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 10:36 AM

Re: Shingles

I wonder if Shingles is caused from stress, anybody knows? asks Tootsweet...

I've had shingles just the once, and the cause of it has never been explained to me.

I had a cyst beneath my lower front teeth which went undetected for a few months. Dentists thought it was an abscess, and I had four very painful root-canals done. They would do one, and when the infection 'came back', they would move onto the next tooth, and so on.

During this time, I had at least four courses of strong antibiotics, suffered a lot of pain, and yes, my stress levels were very high.

All of this took place in the States, and when I returned to the UK, I was admitted into hospital and underwent an operation where the surgeon pulled up the gums to reveal the base of my teeth. I forget the name of this operation, and it was all done under a general anaesthetic, thank God.

I put my shingles down to stress, but I was close to a condition now as CE or antibiotic overuse. That also could be the cause of my shingles.

On a slightly more humorous note, my daughter looked at me, and thought that my ear had been chewed by a dog!

If you haven't already had a shingles jab, GET ONE... It is a horrible and painful condition, and can be avoided.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 08:31 AM

I was looking forward to going along for the vaccination on my 70th birthday but now have shingles just a few months too early.

I did get to the doctor and eye cinic in time and am taking the horrible medication as prescribed. I don't think this is a very severe case though quite bad enough for me.(I can't read or write at length at present.)
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lila ->
I was looking forward to going along for the vaccination on my 70th birthday but now have shingles just a few months too early.

I did get to the doctor and eye cinic in time and am taking the horrible medication as prescribed. I don't think this is a very severe case though quite bad enough for me.(I can't read or write at length at present.)
Get well soon Lila.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 08:51 AM

My Scottish friend is slowly recovering from Shingles, too Lila, but it has taken a good while and she still has further to go yet.
She has been on chemo treatment, and thinks the shingles might have come along because her immune system has taken such a battering.
The pain was so bad she could not lay on her back, sides, or front to get any sleep.
Her doc gave her pain killers, which upset everything even worse as it turned out she was allergic to them!

That poor girl has been through her cancer op, then the wounds became infected, then she had pneumonia, now shingles.

Some people always seem to get more than their fair share of bad luck.
Hope you recover soon Lila.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 08:57 AM

Get well soon Lila I had shingles some years ago and it was horrible, I couldn't stand clothes touching my skin in some areas and felt very ill.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Get well soon Lila I had shingles some years ago and it was horrible, I couldn't stand clothes touching my skin in some areas and felt very ill.

That's what my friend said Meg. She couldn't even bare a T-shirt touching her skin. Couldn't wear her bra either.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's what my friend said Meg. She couldn't even bare a T-shirt touching her skin. Couldn't wear her bra either.
Mups it was horrible I had to wear a cotton nightdress all day and stay at home.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

27-04-2017, 09:23 AM

Is it true we all have the virus, and then something triggers it off?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 10:03 AM

I did have a very mild case of this, certainly stress contributed to it.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Is it true we all have the virus, and then something triggers it off?
How does shingles start?
When the virus that causes chickenpox reactivates, it causes shingles. Early symptoms of shingles include headache, sensitivity to light, and flu-like symptoms without a fever. You may then feel itching, tingling, or pain where a band, strip, or small area of rash may appear several days or weeks later.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top