Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 11:35 PM

Re: Who gives blood?

I used to give blood and received a little red heart on a gilt pin for reaching a certain number.

I only stopped going when they changed the venue .
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I used to give blood and received a little red heart on a gilt pin for reaching a certain number.

I only stopped going when they changed the venue .

When people mention 'venue' I always think it's something like a rock concert or celebrity 'do'
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2016, 01:31 AM

I have Haemochromatosis (too much iron in the blood) so I have to give blood several times a year but, as far as I know, the blood is discarded because of my condition.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2016, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I have Haemochromatosis (too much iron in the blood) so I have to give blood several times a year but, as far as I know, the blood is discarded because of my condition.
Omah it is most probably stripped down and some blood products rather than the whole blood used.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2016, 11:41 AM

For 30 odd years I was a blood donor (had an emerald badge) for 75 pints, but was compulsorily 'retired' when my asthma became worse and have subsequently been prescribed Warfarin.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2016, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
For 30 odd years I was a blood donor (had an emerald badge) for 75 pints, but was compulsorily 'retired' when my asthma became worse and have subsequently been prescribed Warfarin.
Really commendable giving 75 pints, Uncle Joe

My dad was a regular donor too for decades, but like yourself, an illness decreed that he wasn't allowed to donate anymore.

I see their is no official age limit these days for giving blood, as long as the donor is reasonably healthy and has no medical or contagious ailments.
cinnamon girl
hampshire uk
cinnamon girl is female  cinnamon girl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2016, 06:58 PM

I did a few years ago and was found to have hepatitis c which i have since been treated for and cured. this virus is not picked up in normal blood tests so would have gone unnoticed until liver failure occurred.
so while i did not save lives of others,i did at least save my own !
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2016, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Last week I attended my 20th blood donor session. Worth a few minutes of my life to save someone else's.
Well done.
Peter61
New Member!
Weymouth , Dorset
Peter61 is male 

28-03-2017, 11:48 PM

Giving blood tommorow , 71st donation which is approaching the Emerald award (75).
Also having samples taken for possible future Platelets donating.
I enjoy blood donating ,but I guess someday I will be told to stop for Medical reasons .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 12:58 AM

I can only quote Hancock, "Given? No! Spilt? Yes!"

Actually I as a donor for a quarter of a century but they got fussy and knocked me back because of low iron or low blood pressure so I gave up. I can't donate now I am over 70 anyway.

Ironically probably none of you would be allowed to donate blood in Australia not because you are all gay (though that would bar you) but because you were in the UK for longer than 6 months between 1980 and 1996. They are worried about transmitting the fatal variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.

There you go...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top