Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Shadowman
Wisconsin, USA
Shadowman is male  Shadowman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 01:08 AM

Re: Who gives blood?

I have been at it since about 1988 and recently hit the 20 gallon mark. B+
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 06:16 AM

I was a blood donor for more than 30 years (I have the emerald badge) but was compulsorily retired due to asthma. Now I have other blood-related problems, I've acctually been receiving blood plasma transfusions.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
I'm afraid I'm a total wuss. Sorry I just couldn't.

I've to have mine checked every 6 mths, which is bad enough.

On a better note, my daughter gives blood, so that hopefully makes up for my wussieness.
I am the same it takes two strong men to hold me down for a blood sample .
My sons gives blood so like you hoping it makes up for his Wussie mum .
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 09:40 AM

I went to give my blood , first time , I lay for a few minutes after then went to get a cup of tea , sitting at the table I started to feel dizzy , fell under the table and couldn't get up,, needed the toilet and nurse helped me , told me to leave the door open and stood with me .......so embarrassing I couldn't get off the loo , my body it seemed had gone into shock , after what seemed hours I was able to leave the toilet and got into a taxi home , went to bed then suffered horrendous stomach cramps which I likened to early labour pains , I was bad for a couple of hours . Eventually I came back to normal and could drink and eat .

It could only happen to me !

Dunno why it happened but I'll never give blood again
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 09:59 AM

I thought this was a new thread, just about to post "Rachel!! Wherever have you been?!" then realised it was an old one!

First (and only) time for me was when I was a student, gave my blood, no problem, had my tea and biccies, went into the refectory ( never hear that word any more!) collected my lunch, sat down to eat it and promptly fainted, fell forwards face in my dinner, not only that but i passed clean out and you know what that means.
God i was so embarrassed!!
Never again!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 12:15 PM

My first time giving blood - nurse managed to find vein, but only after piercing muscle first. Muscle bruised, swelled and pinched off the tube carrying blood into the bag, there was obviously some panic amongst the nursing staff, but it didn't put me off - went back and gave another pint 16 weeks later.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 03:51 PM

I used to give blood but I cannot any longer.

I was always so scared of needles and seeing blood yet had no problem giving blood as I knew it was for a good cause.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I went to give my blood , first time , I lay for a few minutes after then went to get a cup of tea , sitting at the table I started to feel dizzy , fell under the table and couldn't get up,, needed the toilet and nurse helped me , told me to leave the door open and stood with me .......so embarrassing I couldn't get off the loo , my body it seemed had gone into shock , after what seemed hours I was able to leave the toilet and got into a taxi home , went to bed then suffered horrendous stomach cramps which I likened to early labour pains , I was bad for a couple of hours . Eventually I came back to normal and could drink and eat .

It could only happen to me !

Dunno why it happened but I'll never give blood again

You can become light headed the first time you give blood, I'm surprised they didn't tell you about this. Can't say I've heard of the other effects that you mentioned.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 06:38 PM

Stopped at just under 50, coz of diabetes grrr. Gave most to the Vampires at Aldershot Army Blood Centre. Super nurses, extra bikkies and a second coffee if you smiled sweetly.
EvelynKish
New Member!
United States
EvelynKish is female 

06-05-2017, 12:32 PM

Very well done Floydy.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top