Join for free
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 10:54 AM

ECJ rules Headscarf bans legal

Hi

Another decision from the ECJ, this one on headscarves at work.

Times are changing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39264845
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 11:01 AM

Re: ECJ rules Headscarf bans legal

I'm torn on this one I find it hard to imagine a headscarf, we aren't talking full face covering here, is offensive in any way, I do however think employers can insist on uniform if that's what they want in the workplace, as long as that isn't offensive (women in high heels, short skirts, baring breasts etc).
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 11:19 AM

The report says that she had been employed for 3 years and then started wearing a headscarf. Why suddenly start after 3 years if her religion requires it?
If the report is correct, then it sounds like she was just making a point... and that bothers me!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 11:24 AM

Hi

The issue is somewhat wider, in that the headscarf ban relates to religious symbols, so it would cover full face coverings as well.

I also agree with Twink, it is statement making that is the issue.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
The report says that she had been employed for 3 years and then started wearing a headscarf. Why suddenly start after 3 years if her religion requires it?
If the report is correct, then it sounds like she was just making a point... and that bothers me!
I'm not sure if she was Muslim previously it could be she found her faith in that three year period or became more confident in her beliefs. It could have been making a point but also could have been more innocent.

I was atheist when I started where I am worked there 7 years before I started wearing a cross, I'm not making a point I just found my faith in that time.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 12:02 PM

I understand what you are saying Julie, but when I was a Christian, removing my cross didn't remove my faith!
Your faith comes from your heart, not the clothes your religious leader expects you to wear, so I would hope that any intelligent Muslim would understand that their head and body coverings can be a worry, to those they have chosen to live among. If I lived in their country I would expect to dress in the way they found acceptable, out of respect, but in my country their style of dress can be considered a security risk.... and if our law is changed we can't reasonably allow a headscarf, but not clothes that can hide a gun or a bomb!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-03-2017, 12:57 PM

I understand what you are saying Julie, but when I was a Christian, removing my cross didn't remove my faith!
Your faith comes from your heart, not the clothes your religious leader expects you to wear, so I would hope that any intelligent Muslim would understand that their head and body coverings can be a worry, to those they have chosen to live among. If I lived in their country I would expect to dress in the way they found acceptable, out of respect, but in my country their style of dress can be considered a security risk.... and if our law is changed we can't reasonably allow a headscarf, but not clothes that can hide a gun or a bomb!
Absolutely agree I hide my cross if I think it's going to be a problem, take it off if necessary, head scarves though are cultural as well as religious. I think that is part of the problem if culturally you think revealing your hair is a problem then it's harder to take it off.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

14-03-2017, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Absolutely agree I hide my cross if I think it's going to be a problem, take it off if necessary, head scarves though are cultural as well as religious. I think that is part of the problem if culturally you think revealing your hair is a problem then it's harder to take it off.
Maybe so, but if she had been without it for the last 3 years and only needed to wear it because she had changed her religion, I wonder why she needed to make a fuss over it, rather than explain to people, of her culture, that her employer could not allow it?
I tend to trust my instinct, which tells me it wasn't the woman that was objecting to not being able to wear it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-03-2017, 03:20 PM

Maybe so, but if she had been without it for the last 3 years and only needed to wear it because she had changed her religion, I wonder why she needed to make a fuss over it, rather than explain to people, of her culture, that her employer could not allow it?
I tend to trust my instinct, which tells me it wasn't the woman that was objecting to not being able to wear it.
And you may be right twink I dint think we get half the truth from many of these news stories, leaves us all having to make it up sadly and that's where half the arguments start.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

14-03-2017, 03:34 PM

I agree Julie, perhaps we should organize tea and a slice of cake when the arguments start.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top