Join for free
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 10:07 PM

Re: ECJ rules Headscarf bans legal

This is a silly ruling because what if you wear a headscarf for other reasons, e.g. fashion or because you are having chemo. I can understand face coverings, but a headscarf ban is just women being dictated to on how to dress.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
This is a silly ruling because what if you wear a headscarf for other reasons, e.g. fashion or because you are having chemo. I can understand face coverings, but a headscarf ban is just women being dictated to on how to dress.
But in reality it isn't! Do you not realize that, once it is accepted for religious reasons, then people can legally argue the case that we are favouring some religious attire but not other types, when all are worn for the same belief. The courts would find it difficult to support one type of clothing yet reject another.
The only people who will benefit from this are well paid lawyers and the people who will suffer are British ladies, when the majority of the workforce frown on them for displaying their hair.
One day people will realize that we are heading for a radical muslim takeover!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 10:52 PM

I think this rule includes turbans too, don't those who wear them (Sikhs?) have very long hair, that could cause Health and Safety problems surely.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 10:59 PM

When first reading about this, I thought that at last some common sense was returning to this country.

My next thoughts were that it is unlikely that any of this will actually happen!

I remember recently seeing a Sikh in one of the foot guards regiments who, rather than wearing a bear skin, was wearing a turban of a similar colour. Will that change?

And as for the RoP, I'll believe it when I see it!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
But in reality it isn't! Do you not realize that, once it is accepted for religious reasons, then people can legally argue the case that we are favouring some religious attire but not other types, when all are worn for the same belief. The courts would find it difficult to support one type of clothing yet reject another.
The only people who will benefit from this are well paid lawyers and the people who will suffer are British ladies, when the majority of the workforce frown on them for displaying their hair.
One day people will realize that we are heading for a radical muslim takeover!
my mum still wears a headscarf, she started wearing it when it was the fashion back in the day of Grace Kelly etc. It doesn't look that different from a muslim head covering when she puts it on, it keeps her hair in place when it's windy. I can't see how they can apply this ruling and not run roughshod over women's rights.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 11:31 PM

The way I read the ruling was that a workplace ban was legal but it was up to the individual work place. It was not a blanket ban per se and only applied to the workplace.

The headscarf comment is a furphy; how many women used to wear a headscarf at work unless they were in food preparation or heavy industry where it was compulsory?

Interesting comparison with a muslim country; Malaysian police women wear a hijab as compulsory part of their uniform but Malaysian Airlines tends to employ Chinese stewardesses because they don't wear a head scarf.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

14-03-2017, 11:53 PM

Doesn't surprise me about the air stewardesses. There's only just been a big hoo-ha about women being forced to wear make up and high heels in certain workplaces. Some department stores force women to reapply make up at regular intervals. Men just have to wear a tie and shave....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
my mum still wears a headscarf, she started wearing it when it was the fashion back in the day of Grace Kelly etc. It doesn't look that different from a muslim head covering when she puts it on, it keeps her hair in place when it's windy. I can't see how they can apply this ruling and not run roughshod over women's rights.
But don't you think that is exactly what their religion is doing? I haven't seen any men that have to wear them!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Absolutely agree I hide my cross if I think it's going to be a problem, take it off if necessary, head scarves though are cultural as well as religious. I think that is part of the problem if culturally you think revealing your hair is a problem then it's harder to take it off.
It's only cultural in the Arab states Julie
It never was cultural in the Malaysia or Indonesia where the women had beautiful hair styles and figure hugging costumes
Now they swelter in the humid tropical heat . Those who use full niqab must be in agony some wearing gloves and socks in the tropics.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
But don't you think that is exactly what their religion is doing? I haven't seen any men that have to wear them!

Well said Twink.
The religion doe stipulate modest dress for both sexes but it seems to be that it is women who are are most obliged to conform.

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top