Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 04:21 PM

Re: Brexit divorce bill

fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Shame the snivelling remainers aren't eh?
Too busy talking us down instead.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Shame the snivelling remainers aren't eh?
Too busy talking us down instead.
One good thing about news reports of whingeing remainers is that we know who our friends are and who not to trust, especially when it involves those in the public eye.

Funny. I bet they all go rather quiet in a couple of years.
M.P.R. Ashford
Kent
M.P.R. Ashford is male 

02-04-2017, 10:00 PM

How about thinking the other way round.
As things stand we are already out of the EU and the actual final date will be in 2 years.
The EU would like access to our market without tariffs, remember we buy more from them than they buy from us. They would also like access to our security apparatus. At the moment we can tell them more about their security situation than they can. Also under German law they can’t tell who has flown on their airlines; they aren’t allowed to keep records, by their own Law!
They say they want money as a divorce settlement, OK let’s start from base, how much do they owe us; I think it’s in the region of £9bn. When they pay us that money we can then talk about access to our market after which we can see how much its worth paying them. We have to be prepared to walk away with our market and our many other assets. If we do that we can see how big the hole in their budgets are. Oh and by the way, the EU hasn’t submitted their annual accounts for at least the last 20 YEARS!!
We can speak to them about access to our market in a reasonable way if necessary but in the end it’s up to us to decide our terms in any agreement. Only then can we talk about any financial commitments to them.
The one thing everybody seems to have forgotten during this whole saga, we are British!! What happens when we are cornered; when we get pushed around, we fight; to the death if necessary. We are adversarial; even both our Parliaments we face each other.
They want us to buy access to their single market; if it still exists in its present form in 2 years from now; forget it.
Remember Greece is likely to be on its way out by then. The French would be out if they had a vote on it, also the Dutch aren’t keen, what’s left; maybe 20 Countries most of which need support. Most of the remaining Countries can’t afford to keep their 2% commitments to NATO.
Eventually the German people will get fed up with bailing out the weaker economies. As for the Euro which in my view is designed to keep the weaker economies down, when the EU agree terms with us the Euro will be in big trouble, maybe then the other EU economies will be free to bring back their FLOATING currencies with the result their economies will become truly competitive again.
Roll on the Common Market
This was written in a hurry when I should be in the shower!
Oh I haven't mentioned the cost of the new buildings; or the extra levels of management which have to be paid for or the crazy idea of moving house I think twice a year just to please the French.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by M.P.R. Ashford ->
How about thinking the other way round.
As things stand we are already out of the EU and the actual final date will be in 2 years...
...or quite possibly less.

Yes, you make some very valid points.

In my opinion, we should not be afraid to walk away from these discussions if it suits us, and I have said the same before.

Without the hoped for agreements things might be a little harder for us, at least for a time, but I am convinced that it will be worth it in the longer term.

And as Mrs May has said, "No deal is better than a poor deal."
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 02:38 PM

Mr. Ashford
I have not read so much naïve uninformed rubbish for months.

This:
remember we buy more from them than they buy from us.

is a remnant of one of those Leavers' lies which forgot to take into account that the EU trade with the UK is about 10% of their entire trade. The reverse is nearly 50% of the UK's trade is done with the EU.

How do you figure the EU owes the UK 9 billion? Based on what?

This is another lie:
Oh and by the way, the EU hasn’t submitted their annual accounts for at least the last 20 YEARS!!
Reality Check verdict: The Court of Auditors has signed the EU accounts every year since 2007, while pointing out that EU countries, once they receive the EU funds, misuse about 4.4% of the total budget.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-...endum-36276175

YOU said:
They want us to buy access to their single market

No they don't! That was a British idea sometime way back in the melee of wonderfully creative ideas th at wannabe politicians were throwing around before you were told to sit down and be quiet.

and I suggest you stop sounding silly and speaking for Holland, France and Greece as if you know what you are talking about when clearly what you are talking about is nonsense.

And why is the first response of Brits to fight and be confrontational? What a spectacle elsewhere in the EU!!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->

And why is the first response of Brits to fight and be confrontational?
It isn't. Only the view of chest-beaters on forums. In reality Brits are more likely to be cool-headed when negotiating.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top