Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2017, 12:08 PM

France will be the loser when we leave!

Looking back at your posts Flicker, and your unwavering support for France as your adopted country and the EU cosy club, and your utter dislike of the UK, takes my mind back to an event which shows exactly the sort of arrogance and collusion goes on over there.

If I could bring just one instance to mind it would be where the word “unified cooperation” and “partners in trade” soundbites so often spewed out from the EU, shows in fact, their sheer hypocrisy. What I and I am sure,many others could see, was a gross betrayal towards another member state by one of its own - France!!.

One only has to think back to the brazen, flagrant and highly illegal Import ban of the UK’s Beef market to France after the Foot and Mouth disease in the 90’s.

In 1996, the EU ban on UK imported Beef, originally ordered by the EU Commission, was lifted after being in place for over 3.½ years. All countries complied - except France!
Their excuse was that the French people’s safety came before the orders of the EU. Of course, this was rightly thrown out by the courts, but only after another lengthy, unnecessary 18 months, when the Commission then agreed that the UK could start legal proceedings against France for breaking strict EU rules.

It was obvious to many that this illegal ban by France was being used as a ruse by Paris to block the UK’s lucrative Beef imports into its country in order to allow its own domestic Beef industry a competitive edge.

Here then is the rub….. In 2002, The European Court of Human Rights ruled that France had broken the rules of the EU and the Commission was fining them £100,000 a day for every day the ban remained in place. Of course, being the chums they are, this was only to be put into effect from the day the court ruled it illegal, not from the date that they should have lifted the ban in 1996.. Even though our own farmers had lost £300 million per year in lost sales by a renegade country flouting the strict laws and regulations of it’s beloved EU, for a further several years!.

So how much in fines did France pay in penalties?? Not a bluddy penny!! When the ECHR was hearing the case long after the ban should have been lifted, France finally lifted the ban. Disgracefully, but typical with the cosy partnership of France and the EU Commission, it then announced that because France had changed its policy whilst the case was pending, they need not pay any fines. HOW COSY! HOW TYPICAL!

And don’t get me started on the lavish, subsidy-laden Common Agricultural Policy, where once again, French farmers ensured they were the major net recipients of subsidies by sitting on vast Butter and Beef mountains, plus vast Wine and Milk Lakes, whilst good ol’ UK yet again paid in much more than they received for our own farmers. But….what’s new there?

I await with interest how the EU will operate without the UK teat to feed off when we leave.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2017, 12:23 PM

Re: France will be the loser when we leave!

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2017, 12:38 PM

Excellent post, SG.

It is perfectly apparent that the Frogs dislike us and always have done. We all know why.

Our mistake has been to behave like gentlemen.

We should treat the Frogs in exactly the same way as they treat us.

I agree that the EU dictators appear to favour them in preference to us. This will, of course, come to an end within a couple of years.

Which makes me wonder, who will the Frogs try to 'punish' when we are gone?

Yet another reason why it is likely that the EU will fall apart.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2017, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

One only has to think back to the brazen, flagrant and highly illegal Import ban of the UK’s Beef market to France after the Foot and Mouth disease in the 90’s.

In 1996, the EU ban on UK imported Beef, originally ordered by the EU Commission, was lifted after being in place for over 3.½ years.
Would any nation import British beef willingly? However to be fair to Flicker - this report was in today's newspapers.

Australia and New Zealand have banned imports of beef from across Europe over fears about mad cow disease, their joint food authority announced today.

British beef imports have been banned in Australia since 1996 but the government has now decided to suspend imports of all beef products from all 15 European Union nations.

A similar ban has applied to poultry from the UK for decades because of the danger of endemic salmonella and avian flu.

It is not just France that doesn't trust British agriculture and I am afraid it is entirely the fault of British farmers.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2017, 01:25 PM

Why is this thread directed at one particular member?
Simply not cricket!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2017, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Simply not cricket!
It certainly isn't on my part Tessa, I have asked Flicker question after question and she replies with either disparaging remarks or scorn.

My post is a genuine request for her view on the previous conduct of France as a founding member of the EU, in which they flouted EU regulations by acting illegally, and in which British farmers paid a heavy cost.

I can assure you there is no malice intended towards anyone in my post.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2017, 02:03 PM

Simply not cricket!
The Frogs don't play cricket.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2017, 02:11 PM

Hi

France will not be the loser, it has just increased the UK energy prices again.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-04-2017, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

France will not be the loser, it has just increased the UK energy prices again.
Our fault. We should never have made the decision to rely on them.

We should know by now that not only can we not rely on them, but also they hold a grudge against us.

We have shown them up throughout history and they don't like it.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2017, 03:04 PM

Simply not cricket!
Because this forum is crawling with people who like to bully others?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top