Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 12:41 PM

Re: Knee pain

Seeing the Dr again 2nd May so will see what he comes up with next.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 12:58 PM

Ho Doc as you don't have a cause suggesting a remedy isn't easy.

I have had knee pain on and off ever since I tore my Meniscus, the acute phase of that lasted 3 months.
Some days I had to drag my leg down the field to walk Chloe the pain was so bad. Had I fallen over I would never have got up

The doctor was useless and said take a pain killer come back in a few months if it doesn't get better.

To help with the pain I applied ice when sitting ( ice wrapped in a tea towel 10 mins at a time ) and elevated my leg , in bed I put a pillow between my knees to keep the knee stable.

I also purchased a knee support which seemed to help.

It got better gradually but I still get twinges and when it does I dig out the knee support.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 01:01 PM

Regular goes on my exercise bicycle cured knee pain, starting soft setting upwards. Climbing stairs in shops strengthened all the muscles over a couple of weeks. No pills or creams.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 01:04 PM

I have nearly shaken off my own knee pain. I was training really hard last year - running that is - without any problems but I turned over in bed and something went on the inner side of my right knee. I really thought my running days were over as it felt like it was never going to get better. I didn't run for around 6 months and suddenly I could tell it was healing as it was no longer on my mind at times. I can run again now .

Point of the above is there is a lack of blood to various parts of the knee - cartilage - ligaments etc and healing can take a long time. Not good news I know but maybe a support might help in the interim.

Many end up under the knife but I was glad I didn't go down that route. Then again exploratory surgery might be the only way to figure out what is wrong with your knee.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 01:08 PM

Many thanks some very good tips.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 01:10 PM

Doc, I think Meg's suggestion of a good knee support is a good idea for the time being, but even then the support and the medication, is not doing anything to find the cause. I am wondering if it would be worthwhile asking to see a physiotherapist or chiropractor?

Secondly, as to sleeping. I have one knee that plays up from time to time, and my chiropractor told me to put a small cushion or pillow between my knees when lying on my side in bed, and it I find it instant relief. A cheap and cheerful way to feel better for me, and it works - give it a try.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Just wondering if anyone has the same problem as me and if so how do you ease the pain?
A few weeks ago from out of the blue i started getting really bad pain in my left knee so went to the Dr and he gave me a prescription for Co-Codamol and also made an appointment for an x-ray. I had the x-ray and they could find nothing wrong with my knee!! So how come i am getting all this pain? It is worse at night because im forever trying to find a comfy place to lay my leg without it aching.
I have tried all the gels on the market none are any good also tried a T.E.N.S. machine that made the pain worse Ibuprofen do help as do the Co-Codamol but was just wondering if any of you have the same problem?
Doc where is the pain, is it in one area of the knee.
Does movement make it worse,
Is is a constant ache or a stabbing pain,
Is the knee hot or swollen .

Try to evaluate these things then you should be able to get some idea of the cause by putting the symptoms into Google .

Remember an x-ray only shows the structure of the knee and not soft tissue so can only help with the diagnosis of certain conditions. Others may require a scan.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 01:15 PM

I would ask for a referral to see a physiotherapist . I have had back and hip pain and got referred to a physio and it's really helped me .
I think in some places you can refer yourself ? Can't do any harm anyway .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 01:30 PM

Doc all the ideas are good and worth trying, as you may find that one of them does the trick.
I wake every morning with pain in my ankles and knees, but nobody can diagnose the cause, as when I get up and move about for 2-3 hours it disappears. ( I think it may be mild arthritis!)
I have a snack before going to bed and 400mg of Ibuprofen, which often helps me wake with very little pain. I find that a few days of this helps reduce the inflammation so i can then have a few days without the pain or pills... but it comes back within a week.
Your pain sounds quite bad so, if they can't diagnose the cause you will be on painkillers for life. I would be tempted to press your doctor for further test to establish what is causing it, because there may be a better treatment than pain relief.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK

24-04-2017, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Doc where is the pain, is it in one area of the knee.
Does movement make it worse,
Is is a constant ache or a stabbing pain,
Is the knee hot or swollen .

Try to evaluate these things then you should be able to get some idea of the cause by putting the symptoms into Google .

Remember an x-ray only shows the structure of the knee and not soft tissue so can only help with the diagnosis of certain conditions. Others may require a scan.
Hi Meg. The pain is on the right side of my knee there is no swelling. The pain is a constant throb only goes when i have taken medication. Sometimes when im walking the dog i wonder how i manage to get round the country lanes but i do it somehow.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top