Join for free
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2017, 10:41 PM

Re: Irritating Proposals To Change The Voting System

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I think some of us 'oldies' should have more confidence in young people.
Why shouldn't they vote at 16? Many young people are far more mature and aware than we were at the same age.
Some even produce babies at an even much younger age than 16!
Times are different, kids today are different and some even show more sense and reason than some of us 'oldies'!
I agree. If 16 years is deemed old enough to marry and have a family then they should also have the right to vote. Crazy that someone bringing up a child is not able to have a say in the future of the country their child is born into. I also agree with the other comments that people are no more sensible at 18, but that can be true at 30 or even 60.

I also think it should be compulsory to vote and I am happy for it to be made easier, because for some it's not easy to get to a polling station, particularly if they are disabled, sick or elderly. I don't understand the problem with being able to do it on the phone.

There should be no upper age limit. That's nonsense.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2017, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
In all cases it seems, people who want these changes, are those who support Labour, the Greens and the LibDims. Because they think kids, the lazy, the uninformed and jailbirds, will most likely vote for them - if they did vote.
I agree. I think those proposals are purely for political gain.

Which suggests that those left wing parties are more worried than I realised.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2017, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I think that just demonstrates that they are not responsible Arty.....Drivers under the age of 21 account for almost half of all road accidents.....And drivers over 80 account for the other half......
That's good news.

As I'm within the age range of 21 to 80, I'm almost certain never to be the cause of any road accident.

Phew!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2017, 11:04 PM

Many teenagers are interested in politics as proved when under 18's in Scotland were invited to vote in the Scottish Referendum. 100,000 applied to vote and this was 80% of those eligible.
I also watched a discussion that was televised at the same time when young teenagers discussed the forthcoming referendum.
They were very sensible, knowledgable and articulate.
I was most impressed!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 12:14 AM

Most teenagers these days are more sensible than mum and dad. They study hard, don't drink or smoke, plan their finances carefully, don't sleep around.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Many teenagers are interested in politics as proved when under 18's in Scotland were invited to vote in the Scottish Referendum. 100,000 applied to vote and this was 80% of those eligible.
I also watched a discussion that was televised at the same time when young teenagers discussed the forthcoming referendum.
They were very sensible, knowledgable and articulate.
I was most impressed!
And I have a Jock friend living in England who was not aloud to vote in the Scottish Referendum
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I agree. If 16 years is deemed old enough to marry and have a family then they should also have the right to vote. Crazy that someone bringing up a child is not able to have a say in the future of the country their child is born into. I also agree with the other comments that people are no more sensible at 18, but that can be true at 30 or even 60.

I also think it should be compulsory to vote and I am happy for it to be made easier, because for some it's not easy to get to a polling station, particularly if they are disabled, sick or elderly. I don't understand the problem with being able to do it on the phone.

There should be no upper age limit. That's nonsense.

You do appreciate that if, through reason of disability, people are unable to reach a polling station, they have the ability to apply to their local authority to issue a postal vote???
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Most teenagers these days are more sensible than mum and dad. They study hard, don't drink or smoke, plan their finances carefully, don't sleep around.
No wonder most meander around looking bored as hell.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 07:41 AM

Hi

I have no objection at all for Postal Votes, absolutely essential for Democracy.

If you cannot get to a Polling Station because of a genuine reason, of course you should be allowed a Postal Vote.

It does need to be, in my opinion, strictly controlled.

Electoral Fraud has been shown to be closely linked to Postal Voting, and fraud in the Democratic process strikes at the very heart of democracy.

It is not just those who are too ill or disabled who should be entitled to a postal vote.

Many are working abroad for the Government and many more are actually working on the day running the Election, the people in the Polling Stations for example.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
When did kids of sixteen become responsible adults, come to think of it, when did kids of eighteen become responsible.
21 is the the age to Drive, drink and vote.
Hi

Really?

What about all the under 21s who live in rural areas and have to drive to work because of a lack of public transport?

You would put vast numbers of our local hard working youngsters out of work.

As for the ones who work on the local farms and who can walk or cycle to work, you would put them out of work as well, they drive tractors.

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top