Join for free
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 08:04 AM

Re: Irritating Proposals To Change The Voting System

Having a child at sixteen means nothing more than that nature deems that body to be physically capable of reproduction for the continuation of the species .
It doesn't make them politically aware or savvy and they should not IMO be given the vote .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
You do appreciate that if, through reason of disability, people are unable to reach a polling station, they have the ability to apply to their local authority to issue a postal vote???
you apply for that online and you need to leave your house to post it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Really?

What about all the under 21s who live in rural areas and have to drive to work because of a lack of public transport?

You would put vast numbers of our local hard working youngsters out of work.

As for the ones who work on the local farms and who can walk or cycle to work, you would put them out of work as well, they drive tractors.
Use your head Swimmy, they wouldn't take away the licences of those already driving would they. they would phase it out by preventing under age drivers obtaining a licence.

And as for the young driving to work, there aren't that many can afford the exorbitant Insurance, it's so expensive for very good reason. Driving tractors off road is not illegal for youngsters.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
you apply for that online and you need to leave your house to post it.

Or get somebody else to post/deliver it!!!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Use your head Swimmy, they wouldn't take away the licences of those already driving would they. they would phase it out by preventing under age drivers obtaining a licence.

And as for the young driving to work, there aren't that many can afford the exorbitant Insurance, it's so expensive for very good reason. Driving tractors off road is not illegal for youngsters.
Hi

I am using my head, phasing it in would have the same effect, stopping youngsters having a job, it doesn't matter whether it is now or in 3 years time.

Paying for your kids insurance is a fact of life in a Rural Area, parents do it so the kids can get a job and not be unemployed.

I really, seriously, do not get your point about kids driving tractors off road.

Farms are divided by roads, they have to cross them from one field to another, having an over 21 present to drive the thing across every road is not an option.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 09:21 AM

We should give young people a chance and not make divisions between them and us.
I always paid for my children's insurance when they started to drive at the age of 17 and most of their driving lessons.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Most teenagers these days are more sensible than mum and dad. They study hard, don't drink or smoke, plan their finances carefully, don't sleep around.
Are you having a laugh Annie?
Where do these teenagers reside? Because they certainly don't live round here.
The few underage girls that are unfortunate enough to have kids can take their pick of who was the father. And most of the legal births are usually brought up by Mum and the Grandparents because the fathers done a runner....[Don't you watch Coronation Street?]

Sure, most of the teenagers I know all take an interest in politics, if it's part of a video game on their smartphone.
Teenagers come in three different types:- There are the ones who are good at sports; Football, Rugby, Athletics and Boxing. There are the ones who are whizz kids with computers and Smartphones, and there are the anoraks where it all goes on inside their heads; Maths, Science and Arty stuff. And the last group just hang around in gangs fuelled by Testosterone and daring looking for an opportunity in life. Sorry, that's four.....I was the sporty type.

I see them standing at the bus stop in the morning as I run past, swearing and spitting at passerby's drinking Red Bull and throwing the empty cans over someone's garden wall when the bus arrives, busses that were once cancelled due to the assaults on the drivers and the bad behaviour. Are these the people who you want to decide your future.
Granted, most of these young people will grow into fine adults a million miles away from the the spotty adolescent they are now....But not yet.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

26-04-2017, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I am using my head, phasing it in would have the same effect, stopping youngsters having a job, it doesn't matter whether it is now or in 3 years time.

Paying for your kids insurance is a fact of life in a Rural Area, parents do it so the kids can get a job and not be unemployed.

I really, seriously, do not get your point about kids driving tractors off road.

Farms are divided by roads, they have to cross them from one field to another, having an over 21 present to drive the thing across every road is not an option.
I think you are splitting hairs here Swimmy, there are thousands of jobs to be done on a farm that doesn't involve driving a tractor, you are speaking about a minority that would suffer a minor inconvenience. Besides, round here all the farms have been taken over by the large conglomerates and tractors and drivers are supplied by contractors. Only the small family run farms still own their own equipment.

No company will employ a driver under the age of 21. So that rules out driving jobs for the teenagers. Most of the teenagers round here attend university, and my Granddaughter [Although she has passed her driving test] has a refused a car stating that she would not get the use out of it while living in Nottingham and was happy to use public transport. She sees it as a waste of money.

Sometimes Swimmy, you invent problems where there are none....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 10:35 AM

I had to be 21 years old before allowed to vote and that is what is should go back to. Younger ages do not have much idea of how a country performs in a political sense
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 01:27 PM

I can remember voting for the first time at eighteen and I just voted the same way as my parents because I didn't have a clue.

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top