Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 11:18 AM

Re: What do you think about horse riding and racing?

I'm not keen on competitive riding especially anything with jumps, but riding for pleasure I think many horses enjoy that, I'd say dressage looks the cruelest sport.

I think there are places that horses must enjoy more than others the ones on the South Downs look really happy, on the Surrey roads not so much.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 11:26 AM

I don"t think they over-whip these days, if they do they run the risk of a ban.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm not keen on competitive riding especially anything with jumps, but riding for pleasure I think many horses enjoy that, I'd say dressage looks the cruelest sport.

I think there are places that horses must enjoy more than others the ones on the South Downs look really happy, on the Surrey roads not so much.

How do we judge whether a horse is happy though?

Just because he is running like the wind, with a bloke with a big stick sitting on him, doesn't mean he is happy.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 11:45 AM

I'd suggest with a big stick that horse isn't happy. I am assuming horses are like dogs and owners can tell if their horse is happy or not. I think we all know a happy dog from an unhappy one so why can't a horse owner ?
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 11:55 AM

I admit that I know lots about dogs but next to nothing about horses. I've been trekking on Dartmoor a few times but apart from that I'm a novice. Your post intrigued me though - why do you see dressage as the cruelest equine sport? I am always totally amazed at the incredible bond between rider and horse in dressage events. I really don't think you could train a horse to do such things with cruel methods.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

10-05-2017, 12:10 PM

It looks so forced the animals don't naturally move like that. I can't see them being happy doing it and I believe they use leads and lead like shackles (probably have a proper technical name) to achieve some poses.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

10-05-2017, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I admit that I know lots about dogs but next to nothing about horses. I've been trekking on Dartmoor a few times but apart from that I'm a novice. Your post intrigued me though - why do you see dressage as the cruelest equine sport? I am always totally amazed at the incredible bond between rider and horse in dressage events. I really don't think you could train a horse to do such things with cruel methods.
I've just looked up cruelty in dressage and there is a huge number of links stating all the methods used and how cruel many of them are.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 12:29 PM

Now tell me this isn't cruel.

Trotting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaOhh5_GcM4
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 12:30 PM

I've just looked up cruelty in dressage and there is a huge number of links stating all the methods used and how cruel many of them are.

Julie is right, Mick.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 01:09 PM

I don't think there are right or wrong opinions on this subject, because it is about how each individual horse is looked after.
The majority of racehorses are bred to race and many are worth a fortune. Where money is concerned people don't want the value to go down so they are very well cared for , get the best medical treatment and often retire from racing to breed.
There will always be accidents when jumping, just as there are in risky sports for humans!
A friend who kept hers and her daughters horses at my place taught me a lot and 6 of the 8 she kept here really loved being ridden. My favourite one had a few nasty accidents, not when being ridden, but when he was out in the paddock but his owner and I took 2 hourly turns to check on him ( even through the night) till he was better. When his accidents made him have to be stabled for a week or so, he used to get so upset, when the others went out riding, that I had to spend a lot of time comforting him till they returned.
There would be a lot less horses if people didn't ride, and I agree it is lovely to see wild horses out together.... but think how they suffer when their feet go down rabbit holes and there is nobody there to help.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top