Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 08:35 AM

Re: What do you think about horse riding and racing?

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Jeez, I half expected you to say Norway or Finland
Me too.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 08:39 AM

I have no interest in horse racing but if others enjoy it, like our next door neighbours, fair enough.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 09:02 AM

Re sled dogs

I heard there is a modified version of this using a little cart to make up for lack of snow am I right ?
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Re sled dogs

I heard there is a modified version of this using a little cart to make up for lack of snow am I right ?
Yes - we usually use a three wheeled rig like this:

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Re sled dogs

Yes they are like mini chariots, ive sen them up at Kielder when there was no snow.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
One could quite easily say that only people in the sport see the reality of the activity and those on the outside see only what they want to see.

As I said above, I have no real experience with horses, but I have, for 20+ years, been involved in sled dog racing. During that time I have occasionally been chided by animal rights nutters for the "cruelty" in making my poor dogs run in harness. In fact, the cruelty would be in not letting them run. To see their manic excitement when we get their harnesses out leaves no doubt whatever that they love to run.

Just look at their happy faces:

Indeed they look very happy, some of my dogs terriers would have been happy pulling that I swear. They never got to grips with not pulling like trains !
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Yes - we usually use a three wheeled rig like this:

Don't they suffer from the heat?

From an untrained eye point of view they look less happy than they do in the snow.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Don't they suffer from the heat?

From an untrained eye point of view they look less happy than they do in the snow.
Yes - the racing organisations won't allow a race to go ahead if the temperature is above 12 degrees C or if there is high humidity.
The bottom line is that if, as the driver, it is too warm to run round in several layers and a thick fleece, it is too warm for the dogs.
The dogs in this picture are probably less happy as they have just come upon part of the trail where foresters have been at work leaving huge ruts and thick gooey mud holes for them to run on.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top