Join for free
Page 10 of 12 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 >
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 10:27 AM

Re: Being old is boring

Angling-I used to be very keen. Reasons for stopping-I too decided hooking a fish just for fun,not to eat,was no longer me.

Air weapons-My eyesight is not good enough now to target shoot-and it`s been a long time since I had a `hunter` cat(Cleo never did) so no need to `dispatch`a wounded bird or mouse etc.

Sex-I really must have a word with my doctor.

Cooking-a bit over my best but friends still enjoy it.

Gardening-40 years now and the back may complain but I still love it.

Other things from the past have gone-for reasons of age-the cricket ball got harder and faster for example.

I do read a lot more now.

We accommodate changes in the way we see the world as we grow older.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 10:58 AM

All very interesting replies but really I want to focus on what 'wisdom' is. After all it is this very stuff that is supposed to be of such use to others. Village elders were held in high regard for this very reason. The older a person is the wiser that person should be by all accounts - but is that the case?

A person can be born stupid and remain stupid for the rest of their lives and learn very little, whereas another person can be the complete opposite and have a great wealth of invaluable information to pass on, therefore 'wisdom' is not just experience but a great many other things besides.

Then we have the counsel a wise person dishes out. A J.R.R. Tolkien quote ...

“Ask not the elves for advice, because they will tell you both 'yes' and 'no'.”

In other words a wise person can see many conclusions to a concern. Many also realise that only experience teaches a lesson - hardship in particular, be it self inflicted or not. Because of this many older people don't try and impart any of their knowledge but merely listen in the hope the aggrieved party can work things out for themselves. Then there is the realisation they could be wrong themselves and to impart biased advice could have serious consequences.

So, a wise person eventually becomes so full of this all important wisdom they are no longer of any worth and simply mind their own business as the world goes rushing by.

Kinda come full circle here in that the title 'Being old is boring' is justified as we eventually remove ourselves from daily deliberations for the simple fact we can see the futility of it all, whereas pottering in the garden is both easy on the body and mind .
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 11:23 AM

`Wisdom`? Now that is the question. Alas my PhD was in psychology and not philosophy.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 12:34 PM

To me one of the sad and perplexing things about some people in older age is that (leaving aside deterioration in brain function) they seem to lose the capacity or desire for wanting to learn and experience new things. Others never lose this inquisitiveness and go on questioning, trying and learning all their lives. Does something (some sort of spark) get knocked out of some of us by our experiences, whilst others seem better equipped (maybe because of their experiences) to rise to challenges and difficulties and cope better with the changes wrought as they age. We all have difficulties, tragedies and challenges throughout our lives - nobody gets away with leading a charmed life all through - so what is it with people and their experiences in life that makes them think the "cup is half full or half empty?" - Why are some people more stoical and tolerant than others in face of adversity and challenge? and why do some people continually fight and rail against adversity and challenges, when others give up?
I know that in many things we are all different, but in other ways we are very similar and I have some idea/opinions on these things, but what do others think?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
To me one of the sad and perplexing things about some people in older age is that (leaving aside deterioration in brain function) they seem to lose the capacity or desire for wanting to learn and experience new things. Others never lose this inquisitiveness and go on questioning, trying and learning all their lives. Does something (some sort of spark) get knocked out of some of us by our experiences, whilst others seem better equipped (maybe because of their experiences) to rise to challenges and difficulties and cope better with the changes wrought as they age. We all have difficulties, tragedies and challenges throughout our lives - nobody gets away with leading a charmed life all through - so what is it with people and their experiences in life that makes them think the "cup is half full or half empty?" - Why are some people more stoical and tolerant than others in face of adversity and challenge? and why do some people continually fight and rail against adversity and challenges, when others give up?
I know that in many things we are all different, but in other ways we are very similar and I have some idea/opinions on these things, but what do others think?
I think you are referring to resignation. This is not exclusive to the old as it can take root at any age. The old adage: 'keep your face to the grindstone', has more than one meaning and could be taken literally in that a person is constantly facing hardship that will wear away their resolve to the extent their spirit is broken eventually.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

14-05-2017, 12:58 AM

So much for wisdom when faced with a mate who has 3 kids by a woman that seems more trouble than she is worth. Him not having a penny to call his own and a daughter hell bent on owning a horse after her interest was aroused after a pony stuck its nose into his car where they proceeded to feed it crisps. You tell me where wisdom says anything other than this guy and his family are complete nutters?

Christ ...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2017, 08:17 AM

Sometimes an individual lets life take them along, other times it is necessary to "Dig In".
matchpoint
London
matchpoint is male 

08-06-2017, 06:59 AM

What is boring ?? We have all heard the kids say it and thought "well get out"
Is crosstitch boring .. obviously not to some

Are not Experiences just as important.
do lots of experiences = wisdom ?
and then there are the MEMORIES these are definately good things whilst we can remember them.
Possibly, our health is the one that dictates how boring being old is.

However on our planet (or even within our country) - opportunities are not the same for everyone.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 07:41 AM

Having enthusiasm is wonderful, but, can be a problem when no one else wants to engage with it.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 08:39 PM

There are so many people, out there, who might benefit from some help and guidance from a thinking person, with experience of real life.

Sitting at home, whilst contemplating one's navel, is hardly constructive in the real world!

Page 10 of 12 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top