Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2017, 04:45 PM

Re: Locked out of PC

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Still doesn't make sense.

To have gotten back into the computer you MUST surely have managed to enter the correct password.
Not necessarily. Most, if not all, don't bother setting a password on their machines, they just expect to turn it on and be ready for use immediately. Windows machines have a `hidden` administrator password so it may have just been the case that when Silver's friend selected `Lock` on her PC rather than Shutdown/Sleep/Hibernate it expected this password to be entered to fire up the machine again?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2017, 05:52 PM

But they said they didn't know the password and/or that all versions of passwords they tried didn't work.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2017, 06:56 PM

But they said they didn't know the password and/or that all versions of passwords they tried didn't work.
That was the point. If they didn't know the password on the lock screen re-booting the PC to its last known good configuration would mean the computer would boot up as normal. i.e. without a login password. If it was a lock screen problem powering down the PC with its on/off switch and then powering it back up again may have achieved the same thing?

(The old IT instruction "Have you tried switching off and back on again?" )
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2017, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
That was the point. If they didn't know the password on the lock screen re-booting the PC to its last known good configuration would mean the computer would boot up as normal. i.e. without a login password. If it was a lock screen problem powering down the PC with its on/off switch and then powering it back up again may have achieved the same thing?

(The old IT instruction "Have you tried switching off and back on again?" )
Well done, Judd.

Agree that the system restore would do the job if there was no sign in password requirement for the user account.

I was confused because of the reference to trying all passwords in the OP.

I am cautious about System restore because it puts the pc back to same state as when the restore point was created. i.e. any apps added since then are gone! Also any updates.

Again - well done!

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 07:08 AM

As I said before - she did have a password - but she is terrified of the beast and, if something unexpected happens, she panics, goes completely button happy, and makes the problem even worse. When her first attempt failed she tried every other combination of letters/numbers/whatever she could think of and confused the poor thing all together.

Anyway - all's well that ends well
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 09:58 AM

Glad it's all sorted Silver Tabby!!

:>))
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Glad it's all sorted Silver Tabby!!

:>))
Thank you - so am I. If she wrecks it again ... I am emigrating !
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 12:02 PM

Story does remind me of my friend who does very similar things, if it does not work first time she goes into panic mode and ends up saying "stupid machine!". I have in the past tried to explain that is not the machine that is stupid but found that was not a good idea, so now I make my excuses and leave!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

30-05-2017, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Story does remind me of my friend who does very similar things, if it does not work first time she goes into panic mode and ends up saying "stupid machine!". I have in the past tried to explain that is not the machine that is stupid but found that was not a good idea, so now I make my excuses and leave!
Very wise !
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

30-05-2017, 06:33 PM

By the way, I just read that the password for unlocking a Locked PC is usually set to the same as your Microsoft account password.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top