Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 04:14 PM

Re: Selling home to fund Care home bills (merged threads)

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
I expected to find a thread on this but can't!

It's been all over the news today so Im surprised.

THe Conservatives are saying that people will be able to keep £100,000 if they sell their houses to fund care.

My mum has been in care for about 6 months now with Alzheimer's and various health issues and is paying around £650 a week. Some homes are a lot more expensive. She has to pay as she owns her own house and lived alone.

Her savings have gone down to about £14,000 now and we are about to get an assessment because that's all she has now apart from her house which is on the market but no buyers yet.

She also had to pay for the carers who helped her at home and that wasn't cheap either.

It is causing me endless stress worrying about this and obviously I can't share my worries with her.
I had mentioned this in the winter fuel thread.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 07:59 PM

The best arrangement would be to get someone to live in your house for free in exchange for care. Loads of people need accommodation, lots of others need care.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The best arrangement would be to get someone to live in your house for free in exchange for care. Loads of people need accommodation, lots of others need care.
I wouldnt trust anyone to care for a parent other than a professional company who have done criminal background checks.

You could be getting a real psycho.

I wonder how many "caring" sibling's are more bothered about their dwindling inheritance?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 10:37 PM

Don't think CRB has a psycho section.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I wouldnt trust anyone to care for a parent other than a professional company who have done criminal background checks.

You could be getting a real psycho.

I wonder how many "caring" sibling's are more bothered about their dwindling inheritance?
With all the stories of abuse reported there is just as much chance of a psycho in a care home
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 10:57 PM

With all the stories of abuse reported there is just as much chance of a psycho in a care home
How do you work that one out?

How many abusers are there in care homes?
A lot, lot less than caring ones.

taking in a stranger to care for an elderly relative in return for free board would be madness.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

19-05-2017, 11:03 PM

I haven't worked it out. It's widely reported

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-02-28/h...nd-vulnerable/
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

19-05-2017, 11:23 PM

I haven't worked it out. It's widely reported

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-02-28/h...nd-vulnerable/
The vast majority in their own homes.

Of course there are those that abuse....far too many but at least they're reported.....

A fraudster would have unlimited access (24/7) if they lived in, plenty of time to manipulate. ..same for a abuser.
You'd not be able to carry out criminal background checks.

I cannot praise the carers my mum has enough.
They're absolutely brilliant with her.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

19-05-2017, 11:45 PM

It's not such a bad idea and people are doing this to avoid the massive expenses. One of my friends who is still recovering from cancer stayed in her parent's home when she brought up her (now grown up) daughters as a single mum and she has cared for them through dementia. Her dad is now in a really bad way and is in a home at £4k a week and she is going to be left with no home and no money when he dies. She isn't well enough to work because of the treatment. I'm sure her case isn't that unusual and it will only be harder with generation rent and young people staying on at home. So some people have started to exchange accommodation for care. If you don't need round the clock nursing care and you do all the checks it can work. People hire live in nannies and that's the same thing surely? You can always put in cameras.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 11:56 PM

There are agencies who provide exactly this service.
We used one called Country Cousins for my auntie...they came for two weeks at a time and lived in. Often ex nurses, very professional.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top