Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 10:45 PM

Trenches

Was being in the Trenches, the worst point in history, even worse than today?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 10:57 PM

Re: Trenches

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Was being in the Trenches, the worst point in history, even worse than today?
Wow - thought provoker. I think the only redeeming aspect of such horrible warfare as happened in the trenches was that the enemy was clearly defined. Nowadays the 'enemy' comes in many different guises with some hidden from view. OK, we have animosity towards Muslims but has someone caused this on purpose? What are they doing here for that matter? Has someone also orchestrated our incredible insistence on a lofty high moral stance as being something to die for above all else?

There are so many questions now with regard to who is really pulling the strings and from when? I feel we are being manipulated and have been for many years.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 06:38 AM

Hi

I would have hated it, incoming artillery fire and then the whistle blows, over the top knowing you are running into machine guns.

Sod that for a game of marbles.

A time long gone, thankfully, very brave men led by Upper Class Twits, simple Cannon Fodder.

Now we are much better organised, seek to reduce our casualties, which is how it should be.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 07:13 AM

A lot of lessons were learnt from ww1 by the British army, in the early part of the war the generals were planning the attacks from several miles behind the lines , and, as in war things change quickly and what was a well defined plan soon turns into chaos as things change, plus with no means of communication, as telephone lines were often cut in bombardments there was no way to change the plans, officers who went over the top with the men were often targets and their survival rate was very poor, was it the worst time in history? well for a soldier, I suppose it might have been with slaughter on an industrial scale, but nowadays weaponry has evolved so much and you can be killed from many many miles away,
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 07:33 AM

It must have been horrific being in those trenches, men around you being killed, having to climb over them, foot rot from being in wet mud, having to eat and sleep in it. It's must have fell like hell.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 09:30 AM

War horse film , life in the first world war , difficult to watch but I think possibly true to life.

My grandad was gassed in the trenches , survived the war but could never work again . Died quite young unable to have a decent life.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 09:35 AM

I always cry watching Warhorse, it definitely makes you realise how awful it was.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 10:06 AM

The difference between any events in the war and now is that despite the terrible conditions, people believed they were fighting for the good of their Country. In those days you were imprisoned for not killing the enemy. Now, it's the opposite. I can't help thinking that those unfortunate souls died for squat.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 10:08 AM

One of my grandfather's was in the trenches during WW1. He never recovered from the experience of being gassed, and died at the young age of 48 during WW2.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->

A time long gone, thankfully, very brave men led by Upper Class Twits, simple Cannon Fodder..
Maybe not gone completely - a young friend of mine who fought in The Falklands in 1982, told me that the "gung ho - up and at 'em lads" spirit still survives. He told me that a certain (posthumously decorated) young officer - killed in a frontal attack on a gun emplacement which got many of his men killed (when an air strike could have been ordered in) was a cause of serious concern to the experienced soldiers in his unit and some were seriously considering "fragging" him before he killed them all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top