Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 10:24 AM

Re: Trenches

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
One of my grandfather's was in the trenches during WW1. He never recovered from the experience of being gassed, and died at the young age of 48 during WW2.
My paternal granddad was in the trenches in WW1 and forbade my father from going into the army in WW2 - insisting he joined the Navy instead. He never talked about his experiences, but they definitely affected him.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 02:02 PM

I think times are better now-but.....

My maternal Grandfather got a `blighty one` so he came back with some stories that would chill a freezer.

And now the but...........He died in 1976 and had seen the threat of thermonuclear weapons,as have most of us. The threat has diminished today but we remember Cuba,And `Protect and Survive
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 03:44 PM

Putting your head above the parapet is the hardest thing to do.....I've heard.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Maybe not gone completely - a young friend of mine who fought in The Falklands in 1982, told me that the "gung ho - up and at 'em lads" spirit still survives. He told me that a certain (posthumously decorated) young officer - killed in a frontal attack on a gun emplacement which got many of his men killed (when an air strike could have been ordered in) was a cause of serious concern to the experienced soldiers in his unit and some were seriously considering "fragging" him before he killed them all.
Are you talking of Col H?

I'll presume you are....Lt Col 'H' Jones should never have been leading from the front....such a high ranking officer (imho)should have been further back with a clear view of the battle ahead.

Yes, he charged a machinegun post but, was he responsible for deaths in his action? I doubt it, he was taken down without firing a single shot....before the true hero, cpl Dave Abols, fired a LAW and took this post out.

'H' was brave, no doubting that but, was he gung-ho or acting in the spirit of a para?

Maybe his state of mind was compromised by the death of his best pal?

Who know's....but he wasn't responsible for the deaths of his men.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 03:56 PM

Boy,we was on the fire step,I said to this boy-you keep sticking you`re ead up and they will get you. This ol boy kept a sticking is ead up and BANG his ead were blown off.

My Grandfather said `boy` a lot. Who knows what family lost a boy with his blood and brains all over my Grandfather??

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top