Join for free
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 11:29 AM

Autism to be downgraded!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40058482

How on earth is that supposed to help people with autism?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 12:30 PM

Re: Autism to be downgraded!

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40058482

How on earth is that supposed to help people with autism?
Hi

This annoys the hell out of me.

Jakob, my pretend Grandson is lovely, but absolutely no chance of getting a paid job ever.

He is in a world of his own, very loving and kind, would not hurt a fly.

He is both physically and mentally disabled, one of those let down by the massive scandal at NHS Shrewsbury.

It is not his fault he is who he is, he does not deserve to be punished for it.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

This annoys the hell out of me.

Jakob, my pretend Grandson is lovely, but absolutely no chance of getting a paid job ever.

He is in a world of his own, very loving and kind, would not hurt a fly.

He is both physically and mentally disabled, one of those let down by the massive scandal at NHS Shrewsbury.

It is not his fault he is who he is, he does not deserve to be punished for it.
My eldest grandson and a great nephew have high grade autism, but they still need help.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 03:50 PM

Lots of Autistic children and adults have brilliant minds.
as they Mature they are often in chrge of Comapanies or Departments. even with a mild form of Autism
Although they do not like too many people around them they have to learn to combat this and no one would notice that they were slightly Autistic

Also even if not Autistic many people prefer their own company
and love being alone.

Most creative people do their best work when alone.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 03:56 PM

My younger son is autistic but high functioning he is just socially inept and prone to rages when he doesnt take his meds. I can understand that he would not need intense support.

My grandson is severly affected, at nearly 6 years old he is only just potty trained and speaks only a few words. He is in a special school where he gets 1to 1 tuition and speech therapy to try to help him develop as normal a life as possible ..

I bet much like the whole ADHD thing being used at the drop of a hat many of the so called autistic cases that come along are nothing of the sort but there are unscrupulous parents out there who will use it to milk the system.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

27-05-2017, 04:05 PM

My grandson (15) is extremely bright but my daughter has had to home school him, because his school couldn't attend to his needs sufficiently well.
venator
London
venator is male  venator has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 03:34 PM

Mainly through voluntary work I've encountered people with autism at various parts of the scale.

Yes, I do know high-functioning sufferers who manage just fine as well as some for which the condition has a high impact.

Proposed changes though, will hit people in the mid spectrum - the "managing with a bit of help" sector - who could be seriously disadvantaged.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 04:13 PM

Is over diagnosis a factor in this?

My son suffers from Asperger's and was misdiagnosed as being slightly Autistic.

Is this the new Asthma?
A trend in the 70s that saw every kid that suffered a chest problem being labelled?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 04:36 PM

I wondered that too, when my husband was diagnosed with aspergers at 18 they tried to say it was autism at first but had to admit later it wasn't.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top