Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 10:11 PM

Re: Britain's Class System is Alive and Well - And Growing!

I bet "Sociologists" live in, turn of the last century, outer suburban properties, with retained period features, the minimal front garden, being adapted for the parking of two Central European manufactured MPV's.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I was reading an article today at Time.com with the above heading, that states the 3-tier class system that has put us Brits in our place for generations, is today in need of an update!

According to a recent wide-ranging study by the BBC, with the aid of sociologists, expanded the traditional features that define class, occupation, wealth and education - to include other influencing factors such as cultural activities and the company one keeps.

The surprising results show that only 39% can truly call themselves working, middle and upper class in today’s society. To reflect modern Britain, there are now Seven groups of class rather than Three.

At the top are -

The Elites
The Upper Class.
The Technical Middle Class
The Middle Class.
The New Affluent Workers
The Emergent Service Workers
The Working Class.

Apparently, to find out which group you fall into, you can take part in the BBC’s class calculator via the website.

newsfeed.time.com/2013/04/04/britains-class-system-is-alive-and-well-and-growing/

Mmmm, It states that the class you are in is all down to Occupation, Wealth and Education, with other factors thrown in such as social culture and the company one keeps!
LOL - I wonder what category I fall into with sitting in at night with my obligatory glass of wine from a £6 bottle and watching programmes such as Downton Abbey, don’t mind being seen shopping at Aldi or Lidl’s, and still enjoy going to the occasional Bingo night out at the Mecca Club!
I probably come into yet another group - Common as Muck!

What about you?
Brill! You must be posh spending 6 quid on ONE bottle of wine, I only splash out that much on special occasions
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 10:34 PM

Always been sociable, but never got the "Gist", bet that cost a few Bob.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I bet "Sociologists" live in, turn of the last century, outer suburban properties, with retained period features, the minimal front garden, being adapted for the parking of two Central European manufactured MPV's.

Watch it, Spitty, you almost sequed into 'Estate Agentese' there !
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 07:10 AM

Most countries have a class system, the haves and the have nots. I don't think we are much different here except it's maybe recognised for what it is more so than in other countries.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

28-05-2017, 07:51 AM

Class is a state of mind, I remember the guy from the Estate, an early days Lottery Winner, who, only survived 12 months post the win, he expired after overdosing on Fish and Chips, and cheap Lager.
That said, some folks on the Estate used Cups and Saucers, and never swore, that's "Classy"
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 07:58 AM

Reminds me of my childhood Spitty, we had holes in our shoes and did regular moonlight flits but we had to say please may I leave the table after a meal and woe betide if you ever held your knife like a pencil.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top